1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Daihatsu Hijet S83P Door Weather Stripping?

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by Flying Fish, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Flying Fish

Flying Fish New Member

My Daihatsu just got a fresh restoration from ground up. One of the last items of business is the nasty weather stripping around the doors. Has anyone had experience in tracking down replacement seal for these? Can this be bulk ordered somewhere or does something similar work?

It wouldn't be worth the time or money to use good used seal as that's bound to breakdown as well.

I'd be interested in hearing what (and if) anyone else has tried to find this!

Thanks!

2. TRAX and HORNS

TRAX and HORNS Well-Known Member

I bet if you matched it up to a small Toyota truck you could get close.

3. Flying Fish

Flying Fish New Member

Thanks for the response...that's not a bad idea. I'd think there would be something similar off a Toyota regular or Xtracab of the same year. I'll swing by NAPA today and find out.

4. copeina

copeina Member

JC Whitney sells all kinds. Match the profile you want, and order it by the foot.

If you need glue, I have used "Goop" as an adhesive in the past with very good results.

And of course, unless you post photos, the restoration never happened. :)

5. Flying Fish

Flying Fish New Member

Another good suggestion! As an update, I went to Napa and three other local automotive stores in town trying to find something similar. No luck on finding a matching Toyota truck.

However, I did find something very similar at one of the local hardware stores. It has a metal channel for the pinch seam to snap into instead of the original plastic/rubber type. So I'll find out tonight how well it works!

If it does fit a little loose, I'll probably be applying a little Goop as suggested or some black RV silicone (gasket maker).

I'm still waiting on the seats to come back from the upholstery shop. Once those are in, I'll snap a few pictures. I picked a black and white scheme (black paint with white trim) and it has turned out real nice so far (if I may say so myself). However, for anyone else considering repainting their mini truck, I might personally suggest a differnt color than black. It shows EVERY nick, scratch, ding, and dust on the truck! Probably a little off subject, but wanted to offer some friendly advice!

6. bobjonah

bobjonah Active Member

"Black Cars Look Better In The Shade"

Cheers
    Bob Jonah

7. If your door seals are still in good shape (not torn) but have lost their elasticity, you can use 3/8" foam backer rod and feed it through the seal using a fish tape and some soapy water. Latex tubing also works to 'puff up' the old seal.