1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Daihatsu Hijet S83P AC problem

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by Clemson, Jul 31, 2020.

1. Clemson

Clemson New Member

My Hijet's AC has stopped working. The compressor clutch is not engaging. Jumpered it our and it works. So its not getting power. I have been tracing / trouble shooting but no luck so far. A wiring diagram would helpful.

Any Help is greatly appreciated.

2. Koffer

Koffer Active Member

Is the Refrigerate charge Low?
    The system has a low pressure shut off . I’d start their and work from there

3. Clemson

Clemson New Member

Thanks for the reply. Tried that, it isn't getting power to the low pressure switch. Trying to trace it but can't find any fuses or fusible links to check.

4. ttc

ttc Active Member

Look at the plug under the driver's seat. Mine corroded there on my 100 might be similar on the 83

5. Clemson

Clemson New Member

Can you be more specific? I see a fuse marked "cooler" tested OK, there was another 'gizmo' beside it tested OK. Didn't see a plug. Thanks for the reply.

6. Koffer

Koffer Active Member

I’m not sure if the S83Ps have a separate hot feed to the battery , I know the Suzuki’s have fuseable link right to the positive post of the battery , sometimes they are left off or the eye terminal breaks off causing the unit not to work . Does the condenser fan come on when the a/c is on ?

7. ttc

ttc Active Member

The wiring on my 100 is right under the seat. Black plug that has dozen wires in it. Maybe mid way and close to the tire

8. Clemson

Clemson New Member

FYI Follow up - Upon investigation by my mechanic it was determined that the AC Amplifier was the most likely culprit. I couldn't find a replacement so my mechanic bypassed the AC Amplifier and installed a switch on the AC console. The AC produces cold air but by bypassing the AC Amplifier it also bypassed the high pressure switch and thermistor.

9. thedakotakid

thedakotakid New Member Supporting Member

Is your AC still working or did you find a bigger problem by bypassing the HP switch and thermistor? Did you ever manage to track down a schematic?

10. thedakotakid

thedakotakid New Member Supporting Member

Low pressure, an unplugged cable behind my heater housing = 48 F air blowing out on a 90 degree day. Not as cold as I would like, but it is a start. When you kick it in, it idles up, does not run hot, and the condenser fan kicks in and out. Thanks for all the help from this group!