1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Daihatsu Hijet intermittent power issue

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by Steve Niederer, Sep 19, 2021.

1. Steve Niederer

Steve Niederer New Member

Hello everyone, I am experiencing a weird intermittent power loss on my 1993 Daihatsu Hijet S83P. It idles perfectly fine, but when I drive it, it feels like it’s running on half power then will randomly run full power.. then back to half power. This issue will remain when it’s cold or warm and even when I drive it for 10 km or so. But the weird part is, when I shut it off and turn in back on an hour later, say after I’m working out at the gym, it will run perfectly normal for that entire duration from start to stop. I am assuming it’s either a fuel issue or an electrical issue, but almost seems electrical for how sudden it goes from half power to full power in a split second.

thank you for your help,

steve-1993 Daihatsu Hijet 660cc S83P 4w/d with lockers

2. Steve Niederer

Steve Niederer New Member

Meant to also say, doesn’t matter whether I am partial throttle or full throttle, the instant and intermittent power loss/gain will happen at any time… meaning that my throttle position or status does not inhibit the issue or fix the issue, or at least it seems.

3. Limestone

Limestone Well-Known Member

We've seen this time and time again!

Between Vacuum, Carburetor issues, filter issues, bad fuel, etc.................

Lot of older posts, on here!

Really, there's no one MAGIC Answer! Sorry!

Good Luck,
    Limestone

4. Nautydog1

Nautydog1 Member

vacuum leaks are 85% of carb and idling problems, use a vacuum gauge or carb cleaner, carb cleaner will send the engine to high idle if you have a vacuum leak, make sure the vacuum port in the air cleaner canister is working properly, also check that your vacuum advance hose isn’t cracked coming off the distributor to the vacuum manifold tree. The vacuum manifold tree is brass on the bottom to go in to the block and plastic on top. Plastic wears out with time and will break or leak, which causes a vacuum leak. Some manifold vacuum trees are 3 or 4 port, make sure to replace it with a new one. When I buy parts I buy 3 at a time that way I have them on hand or in case they can’t get them any more. The vacuum manifold tree is located behind the carb. If you looking at the carb from the right side of the bed, it will be to your 1 O’clock tucked down inside. Remember to use a marker or different colored tape to mark the vacuum lines so you know where everything goes back too! Good luck!’:cool: