1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CV Joint advice please (outer cv)

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by rob8888, Jun 10, 2016.

1. rob8888

rob8888 New Member

Hi there

I've got front axles out of my Suzuki DD51T.

Taken the cv joint apart on the inner end Ok (boot off, then large circlip then smaller circlip), but looks like the CV joint on the other end is stuffed.

Is there anyway to get this apart? I can see the joint is held into the shaft probably by a circlip (as there's some end float of the splined shaft), but how do you get to it? Are the rollers and races pressed in on this end?

Looks like if your outer cv joint is stuffed you need a whole new axle? Is this correct?

Thanks
    Rob

2. Ronin

Ronin Active Member Supporting Member

The outer CV just 'bangs' off, once the boot is removed grab the shaft in a vise and give the joint portion a judicious whack or two with your favorite medium-sized hammer, be ready to catch.

A new shaft is probably the best solution if there's a major problem somewhere.

3. rob8888

rob8888 New Member

Thanks. I just saw on ebay some outer cv kits, so I assume you technique is reversible for installing without damage? Many thanks for the insight.

4. Ronin

Ronin Active Member Supporting Member

Basically reverse procedure, yes... goes on smoother if once you slide the outer on, poke up where the inner circlip is with a small screwdriver to compress it in there a little, then a tap with the same medium-sized hammer should pop it on there.

Hope that makes sense, I just woke up... o_O :)

Thanks for the tip on the outer kits, never seen 'em on this side... usually the axles last the life of the truck here unless someone goes a while with a torn boot.

5. rob8888

rob8888 New Member

Thanks very much

6. KCCats

KCCats Active Member

So do you have a link to the outer boots?
    I don't guess they are the same?

7. Jimmie B

Jimmie B New Member

I have same problem. How does outer And inner come out.
    Update :
    I could not get inner joint to slide back even with hammer and pry bar
    So.. i took entire frame apart on left side! What a job. Ball joints, tie rod, strut bar, wheel bearings -they were good- finally got enough slack that I could pull outer cv joint back out of wheel hub and then pulled upper joint out of gearcase
    After cleaning entire cv axle in gasoline I finally was able to get shaft to slide in and out of inner joint. Inner joint was in great shape but outer Joint was shot. It had been making loud grinding and popping noise for over a year but finally got worse.
    Hopefully putting back together will be a breeze
    Where is best place to buy new left front short axle?

Last edited: Sep 5, 2020