1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cv boots

Discussion in 'Honda Acty' started by d rock, Sep 9, 2007.

1. d rock

d rock Member

just noticed my rear outer CV boot has a fresh tear in it( rubber just looks finished)- having never changed one is it a ton of work?

2. unclejemima

unclejemima Member

Should not be so bad, its like working on a big quad ;)
    Did you find parts yet?
    -mark

3. d rock

d rock Member

i had a mechanic buddy change it for me as he is the one with a hoist. it did end up taking two hours to do though. the rear stabilizing axle had to be loosened off for them to allow the CV axle to be pulled enough to change the boot.

4. unclejemima

unclejemima Member

good to know. I'm glad it went well. Its always good to have a mechanic buddy. They can come in very handy sometimes!
    Where did you source the CV boot from out of curiosity?
    -mark

5. d rock

d rock Member

it was just a matter of matching the size up with one from local parts stores.

6. unclejemima

unclejemima Member

Good to hear. Could you post the part number and brand of CV if you still have the receipt?
    Thanks!
    -mark

7. jpfanne

jpfanne Member

Did anyone ever find the part number for the CV boots? I am needing 4 so will probably do all 8 while it's torn apart. Any help would be appreciated. Also, do the axles pop right out of the diff, or is there a keeper of some sorts?

Thanks,
    Jeff.

8. misterturbo

misterturbo Member

Regarding CV boots.. I sell kei cars and trucks up here in Canada and whenever I get a car with a ripped CV boot, I just get those split boot kits.. The smallest one at any parts store will usually fit (I go to Canadian Tire) cost about $20ea..

I know everyone knocks the split boots, but they hold up well as long as you do them well (ie. let them weld together for the recommended time)

9. unclejemima

unclejemima Member

Good questions, does anybody know?
    -mark

10. TRAX and HORNS

TRAX and HORNS Well-Known Member

I just got 4 from JC Whittney. JCW # 105515 (northstar axle boot). Universal boot, you install it and cut off what you need to. Look it up online. 52.95 thats with shipping. Comes with grease and 2 clamps. Same thing I bought at Auto Zone about a month ago but 4.00 ea. cheaper.