1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CV boots and front axle removal

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by rst277, Oct 26, 2011.

1. rst277

rst277 Member

OK I have searched and apparently the front axles just pop off the truck but darned if I can get mine to move! Do you have to wedge a bar against something?? I am thinking of replacing the cv boots with the axle in place but does the inboard (against the diff) have the snap ring? I see/feel no snap ring on the out board cv and the manual is unclear as to which cv joint comes apart. Thanks Ralph.

2. Azada

Azada Member

CV Boots

See if I can help. If you are trying to get the axle out of the diff sometimes it helps to push in on it-push into the diff and then give a sharp hard pull out-helps to rotate or try to wiggle it a little before pull too. If you have to pry, put a pry bar on back side against between the diff and the cup part of the cv and give a pry-it should come. There is a wire clip on the inner end that is in the diff. To remove axle from inner bearing cup (not sure of correct name) there is a wire clip just on the inside of the cup-clean the grease off so you can see it then carefully use a small screw driver to just get under it and take it out without bending it. Now you can pull the axle from the cup and have access to the knuckle and balls. Clean off the grease and you will see a circlip on the end of the shaft that keeps the knuckle on-take that off and take note of how the knuckle goes back on(usually cant put it on wrong because then the circlip wouldnt fit in the groove). Pull it apart, clean all grease off and then you can remove the outer cv and replace. I always pull the whole cv out as is easier than doing it on the truck. Make sure you get all the grease off the outer areas where the boot clamp fits or it will come off. Hope this helps.
    Darc
    Samurai Trucks
    www.gptrucks.com

3. rst277

rst277 Member

Thanks Darc, I got the axles out the next night and it was surprisingly easy. Sometimes it is best to walk away and go back to things another day. If only I had 2 or 3 bays in my shop!

Here are a couple pics. Drivers side axle fits over the splined shaft and the pass side has the splined shaft with the retaining ring. Snap ring is easy once the grease is gone. CV banding tool cheap and easy, though I admit I watched a youtube video on how to work it!

Attached Files:

4. Jeffrey Doan

Jeffrey Doan New Member

It figures that G&R imports sold me the wrong axle. Now I have to drive 60 miles back to their store to return it!