1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cv axle clunk

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by Jeremy5780, May 9, 2022.

1. Jeremy5780

Jeremy5780 New Member

After putting a lift on my Suzuki carry I noticed my passenger side wheel was making a clunking noise after inspection I found the CV axle was riding along the inside of the inner CV joint and hitting the grooves making it clunk, I suspect the angle is to extreme making the axle rod ride on the inside of the joint and falling into those grooves making the clunking sound has anyone experienced this and how did they fix it? I have included a picture of the grooves that the axle is falling into you and making the wheel turn rough and clunk

Attached Files:

2. SAITCHO

SAITCHO Active Member

What kind of lift kit did you install?

3. Jeremy5780

Jeremy5780 New Member

2” lift with progressive rate springs.

4. SAITCHO

SAITCHO Active Member

Usually 2 inch lift is ok but combined with the stiffer springs you seem to have issues. Best way to check for binding after a lift install is to jack the front of the truck and turn the wheels by hand to check for binding. On my truck I dropped the front diff to get back to a more normal drive line geometry.

5. Jeremy5780

Jeremy5780 New Member

I understand I need to drop the diff to correct the binding, I guess my question is does the cv joint look normal? Should it have those grooves in it or is it worn? My plan was to clean and repack the CV axle, Unless it is worn and I will have to rebuild it or replace it.

6. Jeremy5780

Jeremy5780 New Member

Diff drop completed, no more issues! I also rebuilt the passage side cv axle. Blocks measuring 1 1/4. 097536DD-E23D-457E-90BA-E652593E890F.jpeg

SAITCHO likes this.