1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Custom front half shafts

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by spaner, Apr 5, 2010.

1. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

Just finished the design of my replacement half shafts.
    While WAITING for venders to send me other project parts:frustration:

Should be good for up to 10" of lift on the left (shortie).

Take a look and pick it apart for me before I start milling and spending $.:pop:

Here's the concept pic

Attached Files:

2. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

only thing I can think of is the possibility of unscrewing the shaft while driving,even with a locknut..although a couple small tackwelds after tightening it all up would maybe keep that from happening

3. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

I think you lost me on that one...It's all spline shaft ends.

4. zardoz

zardoz Member

Which part did you design? I'm looking at a collage of shaft components, one of them (double U-joints) looks like the front shaft drive shaft on a 5quad (old army truck) .

z

5. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

HHmmm man they look threaded in the pic. srry...I retract my former post and retire to eat more easter candy:)

6. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

I only brought the components together.

The double cardan joint eliminates the inner CV's restrictive angle and the spline slip shaft replaces the adjustment integral to the replaced joint.
    A true Thompson joint would be shorter but can't approach these angles.
    A matching inner CV the same as the outer would achieve the same thing but would still need a slip shaft and milling to duplicate the differential stub axle.

This will cost half to do as the latter would and does the same thing

7. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

My only input. The double cardan joint isn't good for much angle... Usually about 20 degrees. Its more for proper geometry. Now you can find some super duper double cardans that can go 40 degrees plus. They are huge in terms of diameter and in my opinion you are sacraficing a lot of length, therefore increasing angle. I'm not saying that the one pictured wont flex but double check your length and angles before you invest the mulah.

8. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

Yea, the 1410 series will run 42 deg..the 1350 is good for 32...I'm 30 at 9" on the shortie. Part time full lift 4x4 and normal 4.5" and 15deg. 42 would be nice, but I think the weight of the 1410 would actually slow the truck down. The stock inner CV locks at around 12 deg. Guys must be blowing them left and right..

9. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

wow 12 degrees! Thats nuts. I figured you did your homework. Just thought I throw in my 2 cents.

10. o8k

o8k Member

only 12 deg! wow!

i feel 2x better for not using the 3" or even the 2" spacer on my strut towers.

11. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

Yes 12deg at full lateral compression under a "forced lift" with camber correction...IN THE WRONG DIRECTION! (strut top) ..full lateral extention will yeld 24...check out my full explanation under spring install in this section..

BY the BUY, I have exausted this route as it is too expensive with the "one off" milling and heat treatment/cryogenic tempering; down time ect.

The "back-up" plan was to replace the inner CV with an identical outer CV (45deg)...
    Existing "press-fit" outer CV seal platfourm (50.00mm) and the inner thompson cage bell (50.00mm)...cut back to 3/4" and yealding an overall axle extention 1.50". Intergration, standard splined "slip-shaft" assembly....

NOT COST EFFECTIVE. no shop would touch a one-off...1000 units...no problem..

Last edited: Apr 11, 2010
  12. o8k

o8k Member

I imagine the outer CV has much more freedom (cuz ya have to turn the wheels and stuff). what about using outer CVs for inner CVs? never took down an axle to know how much it can be "lego'ed"....

13. o8k

o8k Member

i think im under 12... i spaced the struts about 1.5" (i started w/ a 3" spacer kit, cut, grind, weld... first to 2" then to 1.5". re-primer/painted and installed. It looked like the pic below, then out of paranoia, i dropped the differential about 0.5" (not shown).

[​IMG]

^^^ first attempt at this thumbnail thing... seems all the rage, so i figured i'd try it.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2010
  14. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

OK, let me make it REAL simple...
    You have the same truck as me DD51t, the left, shortie shaft has the greater angle due to the length and is at the most risk...
    The TOTAL shaft length is 21.0", fully compressed; "what you can SEE", and so, measure, is 13.0">>>dust shield hub to diff seal..
    Measure the length then the angle...then jack it "clear"...and again, measure the length and the angle. Your limits are 13" @ 12deg and 15" @ 24deg MAXIMUM...

I think you will see that as you jack it up, you come closer and closer to the danger area due to the flaw in the designed correction of; correcting camber from the top of the strut. Dropping the diff has the same affect; AXLE LENGTH COMPRESSION, reducing available angle limit to the point of FAILURE; joint lock..pop..grind..
    If the system angle is brought to 0deg, or even to within 12deg, all is well; even at full compression..What I am trying to get across is the fact that there is more adjustability in this system and the current way of doing things is in the wrong direction. Guys are trying to adjust their geometries to accomodate an axle angle of 0deg to compensate for full lateral compression.......when they could just go to a full lateral extention...and get 24deg of axle articulation..???????

I would draw this out to it's design limits but I'm just too busy right now...
    Is it OK to mount a super charger UPSIDE DOWN :sly:

15. o8k

o8k Member

Well as far as "making it real simple"... donno man... but let me echo back to see if i get it (below is my guess not fact, for those who will read this from a more historical point of view)...

CV axles change overall length as a function of (notably) two things:
    1. Strut compression/extension
    2. Goofing with lift kits

If you "goof" with a lift kit and still manage to get your cv axle angle to zero as the vehicle sits on its own feet, then your NOT exactly out of the woods...

Because..... what you are saying is when you compress the CV axle in on itself (horizontal compression here folks, not to be confused with compressing the strut, that happens vertically) to the max, the inner CV on the axle only has about 12 degrees of play (vertical up and down) before it goes kebloowy, pow, snap, poof etc.

So, if you extend the CV axle fully, the inner CV on the axle has about 24 degrees of play in it b4 catastrophic madness occurs.

Last thing im foggy on... Is 12 degrees absolute value (6 up 6 down)? Or are you saying 12 up 12 down off of level?

Did i get that about right?

16. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

YES; you have it right....:pop:

And that is ARTICULATION...@ 13" 12deg UP and DOWN>>>15" 24deg UP and DOWN...

If you want to drop your diff into the MUD..:D It WILL work OK and will NOT fail....just that most configurations are in the triangle configuration with the diff at the top...:D sorry just can't stop poking fun buddy...:rolleyes:

17. o8k

o8k Member

Good, ok that makes sense... maybe im kinda dense tonight, but not sure what about my setup is subject for ridicule. I'm really curious rather than offended :confused: but i just dont get the humor. no real matter, lesson learned here is all the same for me.

Also, Just got back from the garage, from hub to diff 14" ish, from brake guard to diff 15" ish So i can only presume i did something right in all of my tinkering and lifting.

18. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

Didn't mean to offend, sorry..

What you want to measure from is, Left side shortie shaft hub side>>DUST SHIELD
    Follow the outerCV bell to the flat bearing cover>> measure from here; TO the differential CV, just to where the shaft enters the seal..
    Then you want to measure the angle of the inner shaft..take the line of the shaft and the line of the CV on paper, and then join them together to a point...take an angle at this point..then do it all again at a full "jack lift" to see if everything is OK..
    Which I'm sure that you are as you have just a very small lift on your truck..

Some guys are trying to lift their truck 8" or something and you can see as you bring your control arm to say 45deg, it shortens the lateral extention and the axle is commpressed as a function of the position of the differential and the angle of the control arm.

Didn't mean to tick you off o8K, sorry...

19. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

I guess the Canadian humor does not always translate well:(
    See "bob and doug mckenzie" or "corner gas"; my favorite..

Here ya go oK8, hope what you need...

Compressed 1&2...Extended 3&4

Attached Files:

20. o8k

o8k Member

naw man i wasnt ticked off at ya :D i was sincerely confused. /me gets frustrated when confused. But not with you.

Great pictures! never seen a CV with the boot off. Now i know why that cv housing is so long. lots of play, but ya i can see clearly where it would bind up when stuffed back in that housing really deep....

21. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

Good, then here is some more for you...

$25.00 for the KIT...CV grease included...
    This is probbably why I don't get along with venders...
    Can I call these REBUILT AXLES now? ;)

available at local ATV shops EVERYWHERE!

Attached Files:

22. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

And for those following along...

The shortie inner CV @ 24deg , and full extention, gives a 4.5" vertical displacement and, a 3/4" horizontal displacement. Reduction in the horizontal length due to the radius of rotation.

It would seem that a 4" vertical articulation is within the SAFE area of displacement for the CV; provided that, the camber is corrected from the bottom, HuniBar...

FOLLOW-UP...more info, with the inner CV compressed 3/4"; vertical displacement is 4 1/4" @ 20deg...

Hope this helps you....

23. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

Thought I'd finish off this thread

NEVER go with wrap around boots...

Had some fun while waiting for parts, like always...

NEVER, EVER use a hammer for reassembly, you will regret it..

Attached Files: