1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cushman Mits motor problems

Discussion in 'Tips and Tricks' started by koma2006, Aug 24, 2011.

1. koma2006

koma2006 New Member

Would anyone have any idea about the problem I have. I have a Cushman van, 1996 I beleive. My van is running real rich, plugs are black and sooty but dry. Choke is open. Idle flutuates and runs poorly. It seems like a vacuum leak but I checked all the hoses. Any ideas?

2. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

sounds like overfueling....could just be a gummed up carb...run some seafoam through the carb and fuel system...float bowl stopper gummed up and not sealing will cause those exact problems

3. koma2006

koma2006 New Member

Cushman

Sea Foam was a big help. When we get it going, the Cushman runs smooth. I had to do it twice and I also changed the plugs. It does idle high. When I bring the idle down, it idles rough. It caused another problem which I'm not sure if it is related. I decided to go for a second run with the vehicle. I stepped on the gas and the governor atumatically kicked in. Anything above idle, the governor kicked in. We pushed the vehicle 5 feet and the governor cleared itself. The guys are telling me it happens every now and then. Any idea?

4. koma2006

koma2006 New Member

I did find the exact problem. There is a triangular shape diaphragm on the bottom of the fuel bowl with no linkages hooked to it. By the looks of it, it senses the engine load by a vacuum port that leads to the lower part of the throttle plate. When the vacuum drops, spring pressure on one side of the diaphragm takes over and gives it a shot of fuel into the jet. Much like a accelerator pump. With the rubber being in bad shape, it allowed fuel to get past the diaphragm and dump under the throttle plates making it run rich. Bad thing with this is that they do not have a parts listing for this diaphragm and it does not come with the carb rebuild kit. I just had to pull it out and replace it with a piece of rubber. The cushman runs great now with a slight hesitation when you stomp on the gas.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  5. leafghse

leafghse New Member

Thanks for all the great info. I looked at the seat belt tags and they are dated 1993. So I guess its either a 93 or 94. I also found this body tag...does it give any info not listed above?

I bought the truck from Blake Shelton . He had it about a year and half and used it as his hunting vehicle on his farm here in Oklahoma. He is the one who had it sprayed Sac Longchamps with bedliner and then painted green. Kind of a goofy thing to do, but it does look kinda cool and I can see that it kept it from getting all scratched up driving through the brush. He also put the light Longchamps Sac on the top that works by remote control. It is unbelievably bright and rotates 180 as well as up and down.

6. leafghse

leafghse New Member

Thanks for all the great info. I looked at the seat belt tags and they are dated 1993. So I guess its either a 93 or 94. I also found this body tag...does it give any info not listed above?

I bought the truck from Blake Shelton . He had it about a year and half and used it as his hunting vehicle on his farm here in Oklahoma. He is the one who had it sprayed Sac Longchamps with bedliner and then painted green. Kind of a goofy thing to do, but it does look kinda cool and I can see that it kept it from getting all scratched up driving through the brush. He also put the light Longchamps Sac on the top that works by remote control. It is unbelievably bright and rotates 180 as well as up and down.

7. james23

james23 New Member

You should perform regular engine maintenance. You can improve gas mileage simply by taking good care of your van. This includes regular oil changes and checkups. You should change oil every three months or every 3000 miles. Remember that the odometer is set to the size of the wheels that the vehicle came with, either 16- or 17-inch. If you change the wheel size, the odometer is not giving an accurate reading.

metal identification tags

Last edited: Nov 10, 2012