1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cross reference for an engine thermostat?

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by cop on my back, Dec 21, 2021.

1. cop on my back

cop on my back Active Member

Wondering if I can get an engine thermostat from Rock Auto or if I have to get one specifically for the Sambar?

2. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

You will probably have to remove yours first, and measure it. Then go to one of the thermostat manufacturers websites and figure out what you need to ask for. There is a very low probability that heir computer will list a thermostat for a kei vehicle. There is a very high probability that if you walk in and ask for a thermostat with the Gates Catalog number, they can match it with whatever brand they carry…

There are about ten different flange diameters thermostats are made in. From about 1-5/8 to 3.5 inches. Measure yours, look for one with the right diameter, and opening temperature, and write down the numbers.

3. cop on my back

Thanks will get on that after Christmas.

4. rkrenicki

rkrenicki Active Member

There is a similar thermostat for a Toyota that works. I have a crossreference for it on the parts spreadsheet up in the references section.

Troymn, SteveBW and SambarNS like this.
  5. Wonko

Wonko Member

I cross referenced one that looked like it might work. The only thing that concerned me is the Sambar one has two little pips in it, and this only has one. I don’t know enough to be certain about using it, so I just added a Subaru one on an order I already had coming. Without already having it apart and being able to assess the situation, I just didn’t feel like it was a good thing to play with. Lots of things I will, I’m more concerned about engine parts.

6. oisesaux

oisesaux New Member

It looks like I'm going to need to replace my thermostat, too. There are couple on eBay for the EN07 (e.g. shorturl.at/lpquG) and I'm led to believe that they all use the same thermostat across all the engines. Anyone have any luck with those? I've already been burned on "universal" parts for the Sambar on eBay that aren't remotely correct.

7. cop on my back

I def need one as it seems mine is stuck open and takes for ever to warm up. Please report what you ultimately end up using. Good luck.

8. rkrenicki

rkrenicki Active Member

9. oisesaux

oisesaux New Member

Mine got stuck shut. Let's average them out.

10. cop on my back

Yea that is no good. I have not opened mine up since I bought the truck and modified it. I suspect there isn't one in there at all. I think I am just going to order one up online and pay the overpriced shipping.

11. Jigs-n-fixtures

When anyone gets one, please get back with the flange diameter, and opening temperature, brand and part number, etc., plus a couple of photos.

I will figure out the Gates part number equivalent and post it. That way folks will know in the future, and be able buy one from any parts store.

Drain likes this.
  12. cop on my back

I will do that.

13. rkrenicki

rkrenicki Active Member

There is a Toyota Corolla part that is reported to work. I mentioned it back in post #4 up there ^^. It is on the spreadsheet in the references section. I have not personally tried it as I used an OEM thermostat way back when I replaced mine, but there are a few reports of it being good.

Troymn likes this.
  14. Jigs-n-fixtures

If the reference in the spreadsheet is correct, in that it crosses with an 01 Camry, 2.0l, and a 99 Nissan Sentra, 1.6l: then the Gates catalog number is, TH3257G1. Which should be available at nearly any parts house.
    upload_2022-1-26_14-12-10.jpeg
    opening Temperature 76C = 170F

SteveBW and machew671 like this.
  15. cop on my back

I just ordered a Sambar one. I will take measurements and report what I find. Will take about 10 days.

16. cop on my back

Straight from Japan, dimensions are different from what was posted earlier. It is a strange looking thermostat.

Attached Files:

17. rkrenicki

rkrenicki Active Member

hmm, That isnt an OEM thermostat, out of curiosity, where did you order that from?

18. cop on my back

Yokahama motors in Japan. I haven't tried to install it yet.

19. rkrenicki

rkrenicki Active Member

See, this is the problem I have with Yokohama, they are a complete ripoff... They send you some generic aftermarket thermostat, while charging you for a full OEM unit, and charging some sort of bogus 5% "tax" on top of it.

Yokohama price for an aftermarket part: $24 + $34 shipping + $1.20 "tax" = $59.20
    JapanParts price for an OEM part: 2224¥ + 2750¥ shipping = 4974¥ (about $43.30 right now)
    Amayama price for an OEM part: $20.22 + $18.84 shipping = $39.06.

20. cop on my back

I ordered a complete overhaul kit plus a new crankshaft from them and it was all OEM.

21. rkrenicki

rkrenicki Active Member

Okay yes, not everything is aftermarket, but they will substitute anywhere they can. Parts like those are only available OEM.. Back when I first got my truck and I knew better, I bought some shocks and front pads and rotors, paid full OEM prices, and everything was aftermarket (KYB, Toplead, and Tokico respectively)

Lets use the crank as an example, all of these include shipping to some random US ZIP code and includes Yokohamas 5% "tax":
    Yokohama: $870.90, JapanParts: 71,136¥ ($618.95), Amayama: $573.59.

I have spent a lot of time researching prices and I find that JapanParts and Amayama are the cheapest. Some are cheaper on one, and some are cheaper on the other. Looks like both of these specific examples favor Amayama. I mean, it is your money, but you are paying an extra 30-50% for the exact same thing.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2022
    Troymn, SteveBW and t_g_farrell like this.
  22. Ohkei Dohkei

Ohkei Dohkei Active Member

Good info!

23. machew671

machew671 Member

So does this particular part work?

24. rkrenicki

rkrenicki Active Member

I am not entirely sure what that TH3257G1 number is. When googling that number I see no results... but the Gates part I see for those models is 33708?