1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crazy Canuck here

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Andrs, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Andrs

Andrs New Member

Hi I've been interested in these since I drove the first used one off of a car ship years ago.
    Not that it was the first, it was my first.
    Anyhow I'm looking at buying one and need to figure out which type is the best to buy. The old Subaru vs Suzuki vs ?? I guess.
    Based on the forum no's alone I'd say the Suzuki is most popular but is it the best truck?
    Then there is the crazy part. I'd like to put a Moto Guzzi 1200cc motor in one.

2. fmartin_gila

fmartin_gila Well-Known Member

In Japan, vehicles are divided into classes and manufacturers build them to match the class specs so most will seem to be almost clones. That said, Suzuki does build and sell as Suzuki and also sell as rebadged Mazda. There may even be more rebadging that I don't know about. The one I own was Built by Suzuki, originally sold in Japan as a 2002 Mazda Scrum, scrapped, shipped to the Philippines, rebuilt and sold as a 2014 Suzuki CarryVan and that is how I now have it registered here in the phils. Suzuki also sells the CarryVan under the name of Maurati in India.

If you do some searching & reading on the different threads here you should find a thread where someone, I think in Florida, converted to a Goldwing driveline in his.

Fred

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
  3. Andrs

Andrs New Member

I have seen them for sale in the Philippines and they are all LHD. Is yours RHD or was it converted by you to LHD or does it even matter there?
    I wondered how much they were there also because they are LHD like in North America.

4. fmartin_gila

fmartin_gila Well-Known Member

When they are imported to the Philippines, part of the rebuilding process is to convert to LHD. I have not seen a RHD vehicle here where I live but there may be some in other parts of the country. I paid 185,000 Peso's which at the time converted to about 38oo Dollars. I bought it somewhat over 2 years ago.

Fred

5. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to the forum! Yeah, generally speaking I would say that the Suzukis are probably the most common. I have a Daihatsu which has been great. The Suzuki, Daihatsu and Mitsubishi are all pretty similar in their layout. The older Subarus are a bit different and present unique challenges if you want to lift them. On the other hand, they made a supercharged version of the Sambar!