1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cracked Tailgate Chain Guards

Discussion in 'Tips and Tricks' started by jaykay, Mar 11, 2008.

1. jaykay

jaykay New Member

If we're going to use this section; here's a tip. If we're not; move this to a section somebody will see and use.
    (If your chainguards on your tailgate retainers are dry rotted and cracking; you can remove the remaining covering and replace them with heat shrink tubing sized close to the chain diameter. You will want to leave one link in the middle uncovered so the chain can still be flexible when the gates are up.
    This is a plus if you use your rig in the woods. It eliminates the metal to metal noise of the bare chain banging against the sidewall by cushioning the chain.) Rubber garden hose don't work so good.

2. ibkg

ibkg Member

A bicycle tire tube works great as a tailgate chain guard also.

3. Colin

Colin Member

Hmm... I should put chains on my tailgate so it doesn't cover the taillights... :D

4. zbadboy

zbadboy Member

How to you attach the tire tube? Or do you just cut it to fit? What size?

Thanks

5. ibkg

ibkg Member

I used a 27" bike tube 1 1/4" diameter that I got at Wal-Mart you just cut it to length and slide it over your chain works great cheap and easy solution I think good luck . KG

6. oldsnowman

oldsnowman Member

my chains are rusty and the covers are cracked so i will be using 1/4" cable, you can get the clear rubber coated stuff, it should work great

7. dmerc

dmerc Member

Great idea. Also, don't forget a drain hole at the bottom.

8. oldsnowman

oldsnowman Member

did you find anything for your chain problem?...canadian tire has plastic coated cable in lots of sizes, and its less then $1.00 a foot:D