1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cracked gearbox

Discussion in 'Honda Acty' started by Josh8178, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Josh8178

Josh8178 New Member

Was cleaning the underside of my Acty and I discovered my gearbox housing has some spiderweb cracking on it. Not sure how I've managed it or if it has been like that for a long time. She drives fine, but Im thinking that I will need a new gearbox/engine as it looks quite severe. There are a few underneath aswell but not so bad. doesn't appear to be leaking oil and I just did a gearbox oil change, but I fear that it will catastrophically fail looking at it!
    Here is a pic of what I saw. Do you think I could patch it over with some epoxy or something for the time being? Doubtful I'm going to find a gearbox pretty soon. Might be the end of the truck sadly :( I put quite a bit of money into it so am upset to say the least. I love my romahome but it might be the end of my camping trips. Just want another opinion!. Cheers

Attached Files:

2. Doghead

Doghead New Member

I do not think those are cracks. I think they are just surface imperfections from when the case was cast.
    If it isn't leaking and your oil is not getting contaminated, you don't have a problem.

fmartin_gila likes this.
  3. fmartin_gila

fmartin_gila Well-Known Member

Agree with Doghead. I've seen a lot of castings with those fine spiderweb looking marks on them over the years. Don't even give it a second thought.

Fred

4. Josh8178

Josh8178 New Member

Thanks guys. I will see how it goes. Bit windy for driving it at the moment as it likes to be blown about! Bring on camping weather :D

5. Ronin

Ronin Active Member Supporting Member

You're fine thar, no problem.

Nice rig. :D

6. mr.mindless

mr.mindless Member

Looks like casting dross. I had similar concerns in the bellhousing of the G56 in my tow rig.

Take some sanding paper to them and once the ridge is gone see if you can detect a crack. I couldn't even with some marking compound. You're probably just fine.

Neat little camper!