1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cost difference Between dealer and Importing

Discussion in 'Mini Lounge' started by Dmscar, Jun 21, 2019.

1. Dmscar

Dmscar Member

@Maximal was the truck itself and all costs included $7k or was that for the car of both?

2. Maximal

Maximal Active Member

$7k total for the truck, shipping from Japan, ground shipping from BC to Alberta and guaranteed OPI inspection pass. he dealt with the auction and paperwork, i did nothing. my Toyota Crown was only a few thousand total but it was completely privately done hence why so cheap

3. Dmscar

Dmscar Member

Do with your crown besides the actual auction cost of it, assuming you used a exporter like pacific coast auto or whatever, what was all you costs besides the car itself. So any companies you paid to get it to the port, shipping, broker fees, and registration.

I’m thinking if I could keep everything under $4k I could get a mini truck but if it were to go over I may just buy a newish Suzuki Drz400s and just drive it to moab directly which would be a little rough. Ha

I just don’t want to spend too much buying a clean example since I’ll probably need to do the timing belt and everything that comes with it which was mentioned before to be around 4-500 in parts and shipping. Not mention possible new tires as well.

4. Maximal

Maximal Active Member

my Crown was completely private when it came over in 2007, purchased privately for a couple thousand in Tokyo by a friend of a friend in Toyko then shipped over for about $1000, couple hundred brokerage fees, etc. didnt use an exporter for it, the paperwork for vehicle importation here in Canada is pretty basic. i could have done the same and had a Sambar for $2000 shipped but its too much of a gamble since mini trucks are either clean, or ex-construction vehicles that have been bagged on and i'd rather pay more for a clean one, old man car like a Toyota Crown the odds of it being bagged on is slim. my first Sambar was a ex-steel mill truck in Tokyo and a bit rough. the paperwork for my Crown is long gone but my Sambars import stuff should be kicking around and i'll try to upload the costs

for parts, dont go through north American suppliers unless you have to for mini truck stuff, they just bring in parts from Asia or the Middle East and jack up the price 300-400%. i got a timing belt for my Sambar for $10 and water pump for $80 shipped last week from Singapore, north American dealers a timing belt is $60-$90 and waterpump is $120-$200

5. DSlag

DSlag Member

Hmmm...
    ...interesting...

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
  6. Bobacuda

Bobacuda Member

Who is your Singapore parts source and how do you contact them, look at their inventory, etc?

7. matt167

matt167 Active Member

The absolute best way to get parts is, go to Megazip, get the factory part number. Then go to http://niparts.com/ to get an aftermarket number. Once you have the aftermarket number, google/ Ebay it. you may find it crosses to a North American vehicle. Anything except engine parts will likely be found out of the UK otherwise... If that fails. Amayama or Impex Japan can get what you need

punimog likes this.