1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coolent line fuel filter

Discussion in 'Tips and Tricks' started by spaner, Sep 10, 2011.

1. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

Don't think that I mentioned this before. Just came up again since it was over due for a change.

I replaced my in-line termo valve on the carb pre-heat coolent line with an in-line clear fuel filter. The original valve and line was blocked with corosion particals and I tried to flush the system more than once but still had crap in the system. So...put a fillter in there..:D

I change it out whenever I do an oil change...seems to be doing it's job very well.

Stock location. Plugged up bigtime.

[​IMG]

Replacement fillter.

[​IMG]

Blocked again.

[​IMG]

New filter in place.

[​IMG]

You can see just how much crap it picks up. Don't worry about melting or a blow out. Todays filters are tough, no problems so far with it.;)

Attached Files:

2. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

excellent idea...seems to work well...I do wonder if that little filter is designed to handle that much flow though...have you tried a larger one ?

3. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

Deffinetly just a low flow loop area. It just kinda picks up the particals in the system as everything conects through the water jacket. I'd just about guarantee that 75% of carrys out there are pluged up at this location. Mine's been packed tight twice now, but I didn't really come up with this to keep the carb pre-heat open; it was more to get the rust out of the system and keep that choke control coolent valve working properlly.

4. TRAX and HORNS

TRAX and HORNS Well-Known Member

"I'd just about guarantee that 75% of carrys out there are pluged up at this location".
    I would say 90% of all the trucks imported into the USA are plugged up to some degree if they havnt been flushed yet.
    I see it day in and day out on most trucks that come through the shop.

5. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

My system flush procedure has always been to open one of the rear lines and open the rad drain. Garden hose in the rad top set at a flow rate that will keep the water flowing out of the top of the rad. (HOT WATER TAP-to keep the termostate open)
    Run engine for 1 hour, or untill hot water is exhausted.
    A lot came out the first time, then done again 90days later.
    Then went with the filter and you can see just how much rust is still in the system. Also, I have a premium coolent in it with anticorrosive additives set at 65%.

Canadian Tire Part#BF-5202
    "Certified" brand fuel fillter

6. Little Digger

Little Digger Member

That is a vary good idea !!! Most diesel engines have some sort of coolant filtration system. I would have been a little worried about heat and plastic, but it seems to be working for ya. Way good idea !!

7. JTT3

JTT3 Member

I just flushed my Sambar using EVAPO-RUST From Harbor Freight. There is a thread on cleaning coolant system I placed on the Subaru Forum.