1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

coolant reservoir on a 92 honda

Discussion in 'Honda Acty' started by snoodslapper, Jul 12, 2012.

1. snoodslapper

snoodslapper New Member

Anybody got any hints on where to find it? I've looked everywhere.

2. snoodslapper

snoodslapper New Member

Well I guess I didn't search the forum as good as I should have. Just saw completelawncare's post but I swear I can't find it there. Dang this truck. Even the simple stuff is difficult!!

3. Are you looking for the radiator cap? If so, it is inside the cab, under the glove box on the passenger side. You have to remove a cover that is held in place by a wing nut. It's under that cover.

It's really easy to find if you know what to look for.

There is also a white plastic overflow tank that is in front of the battery.

4. snoodslapper

snoodslapper New Member

I found the dang thing. I was looking right at it. I guess if I knew Japanese it would make it easier!

Thanks!

5. E-dub

E-dub New Member

Anybody know if there is an analogue for this part in another early Honda?
    I started scrubbing my reservoir today so I could see the coolant level more easily and the plastic shattered... guess it was due for replacement!
    Now I'm finding them online for $55+shipping & tax, curious if the same part is available state side in a local parts store.
    Thanks folks!

6. shogun

shogun Active Member

part number is probably Honda Overflow Tank 19101-PN3-000.
    I have repaired some of these tanks on my old BMW with a soldering iron, and/or glass fibre matt repair kits, here is a write up about such repairs:
    How to Repair a Reservoir Tank
    An hydraulic fluid leak in my boat, which is an important restriction to ride, without ruining the gearbox. I take a look and found that the cause was a crack at the fluid reservoir tank. This tank is made of a plastic that can be hot weld, so I decided to repair it. I did have some experience at bumper plastic that can be useful to repair this tank.
    1 Crack at Reservoir Tank
    You have to remove the reservoir from the engine, find the crack that makes the tank leak. The engine is a Mercruiser 3.0, 2003, which has been doing great, so far. Looking at the crack it seems that is was produced hit of a wrench, probably when performing the last maintenance service, at the local dealer. IMPORTANT. This is a tank made by flexible moldable plastic, where epoxy putty doesn't work. I may appear that the weld is OK, put ultimately will fail.
    2 Wire Mesh Patch
    Cut a inox wire mesh patch and hot welded over the crack. You can obtain a good wire mesh from a strainer, the ones that is used at the kitchen. The way to adhere and incorporates the mesh into the crack area is by applying heat with a electric hot welder (see picture below), the one used to make electric wire welds . Considering patch, I recommend use a 80 Watts welder. You ahve to regulate the preassure applied over the mesh, based on the degree of melting with the mesch. I you want to be sure, you can apply and melt a suitable plastic rod, over the patch, making sure it mix with the one been welded.

In this case happen to be HDP. High Density Polyethylene. Once the weld cools down, you can test it with water for a while. After that, you can assemble the tank into the engine and boat. Take a closer look, for a while, at least at a couple of long rides, just to verify that the leak is gone.

If you detect any leak going on, I recommend you replace the tank with the OEM part, It´ll a lot cheaper than to replace the complete gearbox assembly. have done a lot of plastic welding, motorcycle fenders, tanks, headlight housing, etc. They have last years, sometimes are more stronger than original part. They may crack again, but at a different spot.
    http://www.ebay.com/gds/How-to-Repair-a-Reservoir-Tank-/10000000177584956/g.html