1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Condenser why?

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by udidwht, May 7, 2023.

1. udidwht

udidwht Member

Anyone know why the small condenser is mounted at the ground cable attachment? You'll see it at 5:10 in the following video:

I've looked in the manual and it shows nothing. Seems it was added. I'll recheck but the lead for it goes to alternator.

2. rkrenicki

rkrenicki Active Member

That is not factory. It might have been to cut down on alternator noise for whatever radio they were running, but it seems rather small to have much effect. The only real way to find out "why" would be to track down the original owner.. but good luck with that.

3. udidwht

udidwht Member

The van only has an AM radio installed. And it does emit some noise with engine rotation. Anything stock on the engine that is supposed to do that job?

What would be the most likely culprit for the noise? And should I leave the condenser on or remove it?

4. rkrenicki

rkrenicki Active Member

The radio was likely reverted to a stock radio before sale. An extra capacitor is not going to hurt anything, but it isnt really needed either. Basically, it is up to you what to do about it.

5. udidwht

udidwht Member

Thanks, I'm going to go over all the wiring and clean connections well. Then see how it responds.

6. udidwht

udidwht Member

Fixed. Once I did the full tune up the excessive noise cleared up nicely.