1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Compliance inspection - Manitoba

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by rst277, Sep 22, 2010.

1. rst277

rst277 Member

All told not to bad....

The inspectors - 2 guys, 1.5 hours - were reasonable and interested in the truck and gave me advice on how to make it compliant - I left feeling pretty good about it.

Here's the lowdown:

Basically the lights (front signal/marker) plus amber reflector and red reflectors in the back (rear and sides)

Seat belts - I think early 90's imports should work but I have to check to see if mvss = fmvss = cmvss.

My Daytime driving lights don't have DOT approved lenses and I got a pair of toyota ones for $5 that I should be able to shave down to fit.

Brake hoses need DOT/SAE so I have to get 3 new hoses. I will take them off and go to Partsource and see which is a close fit and the least expensive so no real conundrum.

The tough one is the front signal/marker light. There is no reflector so that will have to be added (PA peel and stick) Otherwise I thought if I could by amber DOT flexible plastic I could remove the old and glue in new. There isn't any other obvious way to make it not look like crap. I looked at a few amber lenses from early 90s imports but nothing really close enough to fit.

Anyone know where I can get DOT front signal/marker lights?

By the way all RHD vehicles in MB are being called in for this inspection.

Good luck all and lets share that info!

2. blakkmoon

blakkmoon Member

Thanks for all that.

Are these just the things that were pointed out ?
    I was told that they look closely at the exhaust for a CAT and muffler.

I also thought they wanted actual lights not just reflectors ( but good to know )

What about tires?
    What about front and read glass?
    Are yours already compliant ?

Here is a shot of what I used the first time for front markers.

100_0648.JPG

They were a perfect fit.
    They are LED's from Princess auto.

They work well, Look OK, fit good DOT marked

Glad it all went pretty good.
    I hope mine goes as well when it happens.

Oh yea
    Seatbelts -
    Get them at Bucks Auto
    I just grabbed a set out of a civic
    They cost $5 for the pair

3. rst277

rst277 Member

The glass was never mentioned - so must be fine. I chopped out the cat a few months ago because the BBQ light was on all the time. They "advised" that the pipe be fixed but it is not a fail because as a truck it is not under the passenger compartment.

4. blakkmoon

blakkmoon Member

What kills me is that They are targeting RHD vehicles

But NOBODY seems to worry about these guys on these new electric bicycles that look just like, and are the same size as a 50cc scooter

They have no plates
    They have no helmets
    Some are being driven by children on sidewalks( i guess because you can by them at walmart )

But I have seen these guys on the street
    They can't do 50 kph, and yet they are weaving in and out of traffic
    And even up on the sidewalk when they feel the need
    Yea that's real safe!!

And don't even get me started about jerks parking in fire lanes at Walmart......

People are clearly openly breaking laws.....
    gggggrrrrr!!!!!

5. Stuff99

Stuff99 Moderator Staff Member

ya i like how some govt agencies shoot themselves in the feet :D

6. blakkmoon

blakkmoon Member

Not that I want to cause any poop with your inspectors, but seeing as I will at some point be called in as well....

Usually they start with their own provincial standards, then defer to the national standards when it fits their needs

I remember hearing this about the brake hoses.... BUT
    in reading the rules from transport canada and the safety sheet from mpic...
    I am confused

I saw nowhere on the provincial forms that you have to have DOT markings on the brake lines

The transport canada rules are here

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/roadsafety/safevehicles-mvstm_tsd-tsd-1060rev1_e-687.htm

And clearly state that you must have

At least one end fitting of a hydraulic brake hose assembly shall be etched, stamped or embossed with a designation at least 1.6 mm (one-sixteenth of an inch) high that identifies the manufacturer of the hose assembly

reading further

the labeling for AIR BRAKE lines HAD that you had to have DOT markings
    but that part has been striked ( struck ? ) out

ALSO

Seatbelts - while it is easy to just go to the bone yard and grab the set for a few bucks, I just wanted to point out the specific wording on the national standards

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/roadsafety/safevehicles-mvstm_tsd-tsd-2090rev0_e-777.htm

(j) Marking. Each seat belt assembly shall be permanently and legibly marked or labeled with year of manufacture, model, and name or trademark of manufacturer, distributor, or importer. A model shall consist of a single combination of webbing having a specific type of fiber weave and construction, and hardware having a specific design. Webbings of various colors may be included under the same model, but webbing of each color shall comply with the requirements for webbing in S4.2.

So there seems to be no requirement for DOT or cmvss markings there either

Curious, how long did they give you comply?
    Is your truck still able to be driven ?
    Or did they pull your plates until you comply?

Last edited: Sep 30, 2010
  7. rst277

rst277 Member

I have 30 days to comply and drove the truck out of there. Had some good luck today with a "gasp!" knowledgeable parts person and am trying to track down toyota brake lines that will cross over.

8. blakkmoon

blakkmoon Member

aaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnddddddddddd..............

who would this knowledgeable parts person be ??
    and where might they work???

and why do you only have to replace 3 lines and not 4?

9. Stuff99

lucky!

yes, who is this person??

10. blakkmoon

blakkmoon Member

11. Stuff99

udder BULL S@!%!! is what that is...

12. blakkmoon

blakkmoon Member

Yes agree'd

Here is a link to a little more in depth article

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/province-helping-to-scrap-old-cars-104200209.html

I read something like this may be coming.....

Later on dealers will be banned from importing anything older than 1995

No mention of private sales

They can't stop a consumer from buying from a private individual ( yet )
    Will they then stop that consumer from being able to register that newly purchased 1994 corolla ?

There will be some kind of exemption for classic cars but no mention of one for other imports

Funny how one of the board of directors at MPIC just happens to be the owner of one of the largest car dealers in our province.

A few more years and Big Brother will be telling us which brand new mini van each of HAS to buy based on our age, sex and race.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2010
  13. Stuff99

AH i see now. basically when a car is in an accident it can be sold off by the insurance company if the owner does not buy it back. so instead of re-selling these vehicles they will crush them.

14. blakkmoon

blakkmoon Member

Their goal (mandate) is to get them (pre 1995 vehicles) off the road
    So yes, they will be crushed
    I am sure they will make it extremely difficult to do the buy back
    When you do a buy back, you have to usually get a body integrity, and a safety inspection
    Most local garages will NOT do a safety on a RHD vehicle here now
    They have been warned that RHD will soon be banned
    Then MPIC will call you in after the safety for a compliance inspection
    Plus you have to pray you don't don't get caught buy the random roadside inspections
    Because they seem to just do WHATEVER they want
    Then dealers will soon be banned from importing the pre 1995 vehicles

If this were Vegas
    I would fold and go home

15. blakkmoon

blakkmoon Member

BTW another note on compliance here

A buddy called nailed with the compliance inspection recently

one of the things he got nailed for for brake hoses

They HAD DOT on them
    They were NEW

They made him change them anyway
    They did not like the ENDS

They "suggested" he get them RE-MANUFACTURED at this specific shop
    Over $100 per hose

UN FREAKIN BELIEVABLE!!!

16. Stuff99

id tell them it says DOT on them. end of story

17. rst277

rst277 Member

Compliance Inspection passed

So went in today...and everything was alright! Guys were pretty laid back and only took about 15 minutes.

Brief rundown:

Seatbelts - tried to find some that fit and worked vertically - this was a failure. Ended up taking a Mazda seat belt out of the mechanism and threading it into the stock Daihatsu one. No problem as long as the belt has current CMVSS,FMVSS labelling. PS watch out htose suckers are spring loaded and a real pain to re-roll.

Reflectors - simple 2 red on the back bumper, 2 red on either side at the rear and 2 amber either side front - doesn't look too bad.

Running lights - Lenses from a early 90's nissan truck can be cut down to fit the stock Daihatsu orange lights in the bumper. Note: don't cut off the part that says DOT or you're screwed.

Front turn signal/marker - no luck finding a lens that fit or was close. Made a aluminium plate and mounted lights in it. As long as the lights are DOT you're good to go. I will remove these POSs and put the stock lights back in.

Brake hoses - Front hoses from a Pontiac Vibe fit the Daihatsu. They're about 1-2" too short but they work. You will have to cut the tang off the banjo fitting and cut a little piece off the caliper to get these hoses to fit. There maybe better fitting hoses but I found these at the autowrecker for $10 for the pair. (H620640)

Rear brake hose - number H36967 - no idea what its from but the fittings were correct and about an inch longer. Piston Ring found it for me.

I will get some pictures up soon.

18. Meesho

Meesho Member

How did you pass the provincial inspection in the first place without items such as the rear seat belts and daytime running lights? Sounds like your vehicle was targetted because the safety shop you brought it to wasn't legit.

19. rst277

rst277 Member

If you read a little closer, the truck has daytime running lights but the lenses were not DOT. There are no rear seatbelts in most Hijets - cause there are only 2 seats. The safety was fine - the inspection had to do with North American standard compliance.

20. Meesho

Meesho Member

A lot of what I am reading in this post seems like BS. North american standards?? The vehicle is exempt from all federal standards. It only has to comply with the Manitoba highway traffic act which is pretty easy stuff.

This post is a disaster. Mpic wanting to scrap 15 year old wrecked accident vehicles has nothing to do with right hand drives or mini trucks.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
  21. Stuff99

its simple. they issue a safety inspection for your vehicle. if it fails or is not fixed by the date on it the vehicle is 'written off' and if its older then 15 years then they will most likely try to scrap it. and no discrimination on type.

22. Meesho

Meesho Member

Are you nuts??? Where are you getting this from. That is the most outrageous thing I've read on this board in a while.

23. blakkmoon

blakkmoon Member

You are "kind of" correct

The lines all kind of blur together

There are actually separate issues here

-----MPIC DOES want ALL 15 year old vehicles off the road-----
    They cannot FORCE you to take your vehicle off the road (yet)
    They will achieve this by....

* Attrition .....15 year old wrecked accident vehicles ..... scrapped
    * Bribes .... turn in your 15 year old car ... get $400
    * New laws ( no this is not MPIC ) no importation of vehicles older than 15 years

Federal law says ( at least as far as Japanese imports go ) the vehicle must be at least 15 years or older to be imported

Provincial ( new ) laws will not allow the import of vehicles 15 years or older

Guess which category mini trucks fall into ?

MPIC and ( it seems ) every other vehicle governing body in the country is trying very hard to ban right hand drive vehicles

So all or these are "separate" issues
    But the lines between them are becoming more blurred

And while they may not be targeting mini trucks specifically
    they end result will be the same

So I am not trying to argue with you
    Just pointing out that this stuff is all designed for a purpose and from different angles

With this stuff used in combination
    In a few years
    There will be less and less older and right hand drive vehicles on the road

Last edited: Nov 8, 2010
  24. blakkmoon

blakkmoon Member

Now to your point about the safety / standards

Again, agreed, much of it IS BS

But not from those writing here

Federal standards, differ from provincial standards
    Which are used for the safety inspection, which is TOTALLY different from a compliance inspection
    Which can again be different from a roadside inspection

So the BS is that there seems to be no standards for the standards

You can import anything you want
    But if you want to licence it to put it on the road
    You must meet the Federal standards
    It is in NO WAY exempt from all federal standards

At 15 years old, it is exempt from many CURRENT safety requirements
    Like airbags for example

But it is expected to firstly comply with standards its era from 15 years ago
    and then some basic safety standards such as daytime running lights

Then each province makes you comply with its own provincial standards
    Which may or may not defer to federal standards

Each province has designated shops ( which are usually a garage or shop of some kind ) that does the inspection
    They are "expected" to comply with the provincial standards

I don't know about other provinces
    But here, you can still find people to do a safety for a pizza and a case of beer
    That is slowly changing, and those guys are getting harder and harder to find
    and I am not saying it is right either, but it happens, and MPIC knows it
    also
    in Manitoba, a safety inspection done in another province is accepted as "legal" here

So I can get a safety in BC, and its good here

MPIC cannot regulate those places

So this is where compliance inspections come into play

MPIC knows that there is BS everywhere
    They can't control out of province BS
    They can barely control the local BS

The only thing they can do is control it at an individual level
    Which may or may not lead them to a shop here that they can control

They can call you in for an inspection any time they want
    They can pull you over on the street for an inspection any time they want

They know that many of the "imports" are brought in and are not compliant with the provincial standards

So until such time as they adopt stricter standards
    Like they do with commercial trucks that have to be safetied every year
    This is how it will be

I have dealt with commercial trucks
    and WOW what a racket that is

You could have 3 different shop do a safety on your truck and each one will come up with vastly different things that need to be fixed
    The only constant is that it will cost a few thousand dollars to fix it

And there lies the entire problem

people

The rules are in place
    The people read and "interpret" the rules
    If a rule need clarification, you could not get the same answer twice even from those that are supposed to enforce the rules

Some people will go by the WORD of the law
    Some will go by the INTENT of the law

Example, DOT lights
    All that matters here, is that there is a DOT marking on the lens ( and that the light works )
    Nothing else matters
    Because they are taking the WORD of the law of a certain section of the federal standard and using it as their baseline

No one cares whether or not the BULB is DOT
    No one cares that you may have melted, shaved, cut, or otherwise modified the lens to fit
    as long as it says DOT

No one cares that by the federal standards, the European safety markings are acceptable
    Because they just choose to ignore that part

Same goes for brake lines
    They can 10 years old
    but as long as they say DOT
    They are ok

I could have braided steel lines that are a thousand times more safe and made to way higher standards
    But because they dont have DOT on them
    They are ruled illegal

This should be a case where the INTENT of the law should be that if they are of a higher standard than that of a DOT line then they should be acceptable
    But this is not the case

So yea
    There is a lot of BS going on here

25. blakkmoon

blakkmoon Member

I think it has something to do who controls the oil and therefore the $$
    But that's just a conspiracy theory :p

Personally I would not at all be opposed to owning a EV or a hybrid

As long as it was even SOMEWHAT close to what a regular engine is like

But so far from what I have seen, they are still generations away from a USEFUL vehicle

A prius get what... about 50 mpg .. woo hoo big fart!
    So if you subtract the electric motor - it might get what .... 35.....40??

Chevy makes a hybrid Tahoe suv
    It gets 21mpg..... which is double what a regular one gets
    But it costs $80 grand !!!

Yea so far I think us here are doing the ultimate for the planet ( thinking green )

We are recycling by buying used
    Instead of gilling up scrap yards

This also reduces the carbon footprint because there is not a ton of energy and resources spent in order to produce more for us to consume

And they get great gas mileage

Plus I didn't need to spend 30 k get buy one

So good for the economy, good for the planet
    WTF??

And yet "they" want vehicles of this kind off the road

So I can go pay 40 grand for a 400 hp trophy truck that gets 10mpg
    Yea thats green :frustration:

In England where gas is $10 a gallon
    they don't drive dodge rams, chevy tahoe's

guess what they drive???

26. Meesho

Meesho Member

Wow, you must have a lot of time on your hands to write such as big story. Everything you have posted, besides the thing about the 15 year old wrecks being taken off the road, are basically rumors that have been circulating for many years. Please stop the fear mongering, it doesnt help the mini truck community.

27. blakkmoon

blakkmoon Member

Pretty obvious you don't live in this province

NOTHING I have posted is a rumor
    ( I agree that they have been trying to do this for years )

Everything I posted is for informational purposes and much of it really only applies to our province, but it is not rumors

And if you think I am fear mongering, then you are just a crazy chicken

Last edited: Nov 8, 2010
  28. Meesho

Meesho Member

So if what you are saying is not rumour or speculation... then post links or news releases to back up your claims...

Again, the only thing you said that can can be substantiated is that MPIC will not be allowing salvagable status on 15 year old vehicles that have been written off (been in a bad accident) and go through their wreck auction. If the owner buys the vehicle back directly from MPIC after a big accident, then they have the right to put it back on the road.

Btw, this new rule that MPIC came up with was formulated by the big-time car dealers in Winnipeg. Frankly, it is a scam so they can sell more vehicles. Hard for the big-time dealerships to make a buck on vehicles priced from $3000 to $6000.

29. blakkmoon

blakkmoon Member

I absolutely agree
    In fact one of the owners of the biggest dealerships sits on the board of directors of MPIC

what part would you like to see links to??

Please look earlier in the thread
    -There is a link to the federal standards
    feel free to read the entire thing

-There is NOT a link to provincial standards because MPIC does not post them
    They made me buy a copy....sooner or later I will pdf it and post it

-There is no official "rule" yet about doing a safety on a RHD vehicle
    But just try to get a safety done here
    I have actually phone about 25 shops
    NONE would touch it
    be my guest and try

-compliance inspection AFTER the vehicle is safetied and on the road
    well, thats what this thread is about

- the banning of imported vehicles
    This was NOT an MPIC rule, but a provincial law that has yet to be enforced but and article I read ( but cannot remember where ) had said that they were planning to enforce it
    link here to the law
    http://web2.gov.mb.ca/bills/39-2/b015e.php#108.1

just for fun here is a recent discussion on a local forum
    http://www.winnipegheights.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2836322

So sorry you crazy chicken, but this stuff is real
    I don't like it any more than anyone else

please let me know if there are any other links you need to provide you with, cause google seems a little slow

30. Meesho

Meesho Member

Well I guess we have different interpretation of the situation.

Smooth sailing for me in Manitoba. Registered 2 mini truck today and tommorow bringing 1 in for safety. Never had any issues so far.