1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cold weather

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by bannock, Sep 20, 2011.

1. bannock

bannock Member

Hey guys,

just purchased my first RHD vehicle and I now know why people love em!
    Tried to search my question but couldnt find anything so sorry if its been asked already.
    I was wondering how the older (1990) Hijets start in winter? Ive seen a couple youtube videos where the guys truck started in -35 weather with little problem, is this common or should i be worried come winter time?

Thanks!

2. unclejemima

unclejemima Member

I don't have a hijet, but I know my Honda Acty starts just fine in -35c. Get a small block heater. I used a polar pad from the parts store stuck to the bottom of the oil pan. Works great.
    [​IMG]
    Also, run synthetic oil (full, not blended) 0W30 for those really cold months.
    I never had a day the truck did not start.

3. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

My hijet has rarely not started and every time it was from the old battery being near pooped after sitting for several weeks...

4. rst277

rst277 Member

I have the Polar pad and a battery blanket for those real cold days. Otherwise, a bit of cardboard in front of the rad and check your electrical system for corrosion or anything that will impede electricity.

5. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

ZeroStartâ„¢ Super Heat Magnet
    Product #30-3203-8
    From Canadian Tire 200watt

I keep one of these in the tool box for those really cold -40 days while out at the camp...ice fishing. Any gen will run it, plus, it doubles as a pot heater for when you run out of propaine and you just have to have that cup of morning coffee:D

Don't laugh, it's happened to me:eek:
    It will "stick" to ANY metal surface, at any angle, and will almost boil you're oil, almost..good buy, a must have.

Attached Files:

6. TRAX and HORNS

TRAX and HORNS Well-Known Member

One thing I highly recommend is to flush the radiator and engine block on a any mini truck once you get it home..
    When you take the time and look at your engine you will find a coolant line that feeds the carb. Its is a pre heat for your carb. till engine comes up to temp. The coolant lines go through your carb. and 90 % of the ones I have seen are stopped up to some degree. Disconnect the lines while flushing out radiator and engine and flush these lines as well. This will also help your high idle system work better in cold temps. There is almost always some goo in there which restricts the flow of coolant that pre heats the carb. The coolant lines will be on the intake manifold side of the carb.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  7. Tinytoy

Tinytoy Member

And change all fluids to synthetic. Diffs and clutch.