1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cold weather starts

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by Rural, Nov 5, 2008.

1. Rural

Rural Member

Mine does the same thing if I quickly let the clutch out when it's cold. I've found that I can let the clutch out immediately after start-up, but very slowly. This way, I can get out of the truck quicker and fog up the windows less.

I replaced the oil in my transaxle with some "Synthetic Blend" 75W90 from Canadian Tire hoping it would help, but it continues. I will be changing the transaxle gear oil with some Red Line MTL this weekend. That is mostly to help with poor shifting due to a worn synchro, but maybe it will help with the cold-weather clutch jumps too.

2. Rural

Rural Member

Well, it was Redline MTL-90, not MTL. I keep waffling over which would have been the better choice, but feel pretty safe using the recommended 75W90. In any case, it definitely helps with the cold-weather clutch jumping, but the difference isn't all that stark. (There might be a small difference with the worn synchro, but it's subtle enough that it might all be in my imagination.)

I started it up cold this morning and slowly let out the clutch (not ultra-slowly like with the Canadian Tire stuff) and it was fine.

Since resetting the points, my truck has been a damn-reliable starter. Literally no issues. This morning was really cold. Probably the coldest we've had since the points were dealt with. I was neglectful and hadn't plugged-in the truck's inline rad-line heater before we had to run. The starter was really working, but the truck started just fine after a couple of cranks. (As an aside it revved fairly high for a couple of minutes before settling down to normal. This somewhat worries me.)

This afternoon, I replaced the distributor cap, points, rotor, and condensor. After resetting the timing, it's running as good as it ever has. I'm looking forward to checking what kind of fuel economy I get after these changes. I'm hoping for 30+ MPG.

3. confuzed

confuzed Member

GRRRRRRR talked mine up too much i guess this last cold spell gave it a treat parked in the tent out of the weather would not start! Well got it running yesterday man a lot of smoke filled the tent after about 5 minutes it was running clear again need a tune up will have to see Sean and the guys about that.Was at the heavy duty truck shop during work looked down on the shelf ........ work will have to wait grabbed and bought the last remaining heat magnet.......... i think it must be the last one in Alberta lol could not find one in Red Deer. Did you get the parts from GPI?

4. Rural

Rural Member

Have you checked the points, rotor and distributor cap? My truck was really finicky until I got all those in order. Might also be some moisture made it into the distributor cap and is messing stuff up.

I'm wondering if it could also be a carburetor problem. Not that I know much about carburetors yet.

5. confuzed

confuzed Member

Pulled the cap has build up on it so I didn't go further will need to order tune up parts....... or get lazy and heve Earl perform some magic on it in way of a tune up. Running now keeping it warmer will be the solution I think in the tent even when it warms up it is sheltered from the sun so doesn't warm up. Bring it out next week have the one ton on the street and on call truck so no room in front of the house.If the wife would use the garage she made me clean up so she could park in it for the winter then I could park it in the driveway lol.:frustration::D