1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

code reader

Discussion in 'References' started by larryn2o, Feb 21, 2008.

1. larryn2o

larryn2o Member

2. gbrad

gbrad Member

Hey Larry,

I have a'99 Suzuki with fuel injection.

i bought a scan tool that is supposed to cover all OBD II systems. It won't read my truck. It just comes up with"error".

The truck is fine, so no problems yet. I guess I figured that Japan may use a different formatting entry into the read portion of the flash programming.

At any rate my scanner won't work. It seems like it should.

Are you sure these scanners would work on the Japanese computers?

gbrad

3. larryn2o

larryn2o Member

the site claims that they will , i guess it is yet to be proven?
    any input is welcome.

4. draggbody

draggbody Member

did you have the key in the on position... my scanner will not read unless the key is on...

5. gbrad

gbrad Member

Hi draggbody,

Yes, I had the key on, engine off. And every other combination. I've got a fair amount of experience working on the newer model fuel injection cars and hot rodding them. American cars like Mustangs, Ford and Chevy trucks, etc. Adding turbos and superchargers on cars that were not originally equipped with them.

The code reader I bought just doesn't read this computer. I got that code reader at Auto Zone. So the one Larry was speaking of may work just fine. Possibly someone will try one out and let us know.

Thanks for the offer of help though.

Glen

6. I'd be interested in the results of someone's test as well. If they work, I'll be picking one up ASAP! However I have heard from another dealer that they are having a hard time getting a code reader that will work. I would assume a Japanese version would work, however you may just get "japanese results" and wouldn't be able to read them.

7. draggbody

draggbody Member

do you know someone that has a motis scanner... they have several different chips that are integrated w/ the obd II plug...

8. Has anyone tried this scanner or found one that works on the '99+ EFI models? I'd order one to have if it works and was wondering if anyone had been the "guinea pig" on this one.