1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clutch start sensor location

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by dpsrmag, Apr 15, 2009.

1. dpsrmag

dpsrmag Member

I have two Diahatsu Hijet EFI 4x4 trucks one is a 2000 model and the othet is a 2001 model.

On the 2001 model you must press down the clutch to start the endine.

On the 2001 model it will start without pressing the clutch - this is not safe as it will start even in gear and start to roll off. I think there is a clutch depression switch or sensor of some type that isn't working or has come unplugged. However, I can't find it.

Any ideas?

2. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

My 99 doesn't have one either. Maybe Daihatsu added it in 2001.

-Greg

3. JPM

JPM New Member

Best bet is to just push in the clutch anyway when starting. Sorry to be a wise ass, but trucks were built for almost an entire century without clutch sensors. If you ask me I think they are a pain in the butt. When I go out to start my truck and let it warm up, I just want to put it in neutral, pull the parking brake, and turn the key without getting in.

4. confuzed

confuzed Member

My 91 sambar has not got a clutch switch. I park set brake leave in nuetral in the morning below zero nice to run out put foot in pump gas turn key and run back into house before I freeze.Let it warm up and off to work.:D

5. Mighty Milt

Mighty Milt Active Member

my 99 didn't have one either... i have to agree with greg on this one.

6. Ravk

Ravk Member

Unfortunately here in Alberta, I had to put in a neutral safety switch to pass the Out Of Provence Inspection on my 89 Acty. I tried a few ideas and ended up using a motorcycle brake switch, tying it into the starter line. The return spring on the clutch is the perfect size to put the switch into and attached to the other side of the spring.
    "Applications may differ" Other locations include top of the clutch pedal, on the floor where the clutch lands, and right by the clutch lever on the trans. Trial and error, baby!!!

7. Mighty Milt

Mighty Milt Active Member

if you had to have one, i would make a bracket to hold an early brake light switch that has a long travel like maybe 65ish dodge dart (IIRC) or maybe it was a 63ish ford falcon... i think one of those had a long throw to it...

8. confuzed

confuzed Member

Ravk ,I am in Alberta and mine doesn't have one it wasn't asked for on the out of province inspection and I know of others that don't here in Alberta maybe it was just your mechanic?Like an insurance inspection it depends on where you have it done as to what the mechanic looks at. The only alterations needed were the headlights and daytime running lights.

9. BigO-L3

BigO-L3 Member

Exactly right.

10. JERRY GOULD

JERRY GOULD New Member

my truck has been sitting for a year cause of the nuteral safefty switch can t pass inspection in manatoba.