1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

clutch question

Discussion in 'Performance' started by Windmill, Feb 1, 2009.

1. Windmill

Windmill Member

I have a question for you smart people. Are you there Milt? When I depress the clutch it seems like there is a long delay before I start feeling pressure with the clutch. From the point of pressure to the floor is about 1 inch. Is this normal?
    Thanks
    Rick

2. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

Doesn't sound normal. You may need to adjust the cable. It may have streached over time or someone else may have messed with it. If you do a seach there are some threads that deal with "Clutch adjustment".

-Greg

3. Mighty Milt

Mighty Milt Active Member

i know the throw on the clutch pedal isn't much to speak of. on a normal car with a long throw i would aim for 1" of freeplay at the top. that keeps the tension low enough to avoid rubbing the throw out bearing on the pressure plate. if you adjust it too tight it will constantly run the t/o bearing on the pressre plate and will ruin it quickly. adjust the clutch till you have probably 1/2" - 3/4" play on the top of the pedal and then you should be back in business.

4. Timetripper

Timetripper Moderator

Rick: You will be able to get more precise answers if you put your questions in the sub forum applicable to your brand.
    I think all the brands use a cable for the clutch but the adjustment point probably is different among the brands.

5. Windmill

Windmill Member

I have a 92 Honda. I am mechanical challenged. I know that 2" on the top and 1" on the bottom does not seem to be right. Now I will have to get someone to adjust it. If I do it the smoke alarm in my house will come on. LOL

6. Mighty Milt

Mighty Milt Active Member

your pedal should have a little bit of slack at the top to keep the t/o bearing from rubbing the pressure plate, when you press the clutch you should feel the t/o bearing start to engag the pressure plate, then you should feel it "go over center". that's where the pressure builds up then it gets a little softer. then the pedal should go all the way to the floor or some other positive stop.

if you have too much free play at the top just climb underneath and look for a cable that goes to your transmission. it should have an adjusting nut somewhere along it or at the end of it where it attaches to the t/o bearing. take a good look at whatever type of adjuster it has and you want to tighten the cable up. then get back in the cab and feel your pedal. does it feel better or worse? if it feels worse you went the wrong way with the adjuster. i had to do it several times since i was alone. once i took the slack out of the cable it felt better under the foot and it shifted much smoother too.