1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clutch Problem?????? Help needed

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by mallardtm, Jan 24, 2010.

1. mallardtm

mallardtm New Member

Need some help with my '93 Hi Jet. This past weekend was down in the Mississippi gumbo duck hunting and the sticky mud was getting packed pretty tight around my wheels. After cleaning the mud out around the wheels I got moving back to camp running down a gravel road. I noticed it wasn't up to the speed it should be in fourth gear and started to smell a burning rubber odor. I came to a stop and then tried to drive off in 1st gear and it would not engage. It shifts into all gears without grinding but no power.
    Did I burn up the clutch or wheel bearing in the gumbo?
    Any advice or insight would be much appreciated.

Also, I had an issue with the transmission while crossing a deep water ditch. Is there a sensor that will not allow the transmission to engage if it is sensing overheating. My cooling fan runs full time, previous owner must have bypassed the thermostat or the thermostat needs replacing. I am guessing the fan was spinning in the water and overworking thus the sensor not allowing the transmission to engage. Once I was out of the ditch the truck ran with no problems, well until the gumbo got the better of it.

Thanks.

2. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

Easiest way to check for a slipping clutch is to put it in a higher than necessary gear(say in fourth while barely moving) and floor the accelerator..if it just chugs and bogs the clutch is good..if it revs without an increase in road speed ..clutch toasty....have you checked the brake drums...are they packed with mud? when you say would not engage do you mean it woul;d go into gear but no power to move forward?/ if so clutch sounds bad..try flushing and bleeding the cooling system might have an air lock...if you hold the upper rad hose while reving the engine,can you feel the pressure build up in the hose??if not air lock..clogged coolant passage or bad water pump....tranny problem in deep water sounds like water got into it through the timing plug on the top of the bellhousing...if you go in water that deep you need to seal up the rubber plug (duct tape) check you diff. vents didn't get contaminated they are fairly low..i think there is a vent on the transfer case as well...the vent hoses need to be high and dry..plug em before deep water crossing....hope some of this is helpful;)

3. mallardtm

mallardtm New Member

Thanks for the input.
    It goes into all 4 gears with no problem or grinding but it does not engage. When you release the clutch nothing happens.
    I will be removing the wheels and thoroughly cleaning it this week, it has mud packed in places that might need a jackhammer to remove.
    When the gears are shifted you can feel the "popping" in the transmission, so I assume it works to there. Could I have toasted the linkage here?
    Thanks.

4. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

Hard to say...can you smell any burning when you release the clutch?? try putting it on wheel stands and get all 4 wheels off the ground...put it in 4wd ..engine off..in any gear..then turn a wheel by hand to see if the transfer case is engaging both front and rear axles. shift the tranny into other gears to check engagement..do the same after shitfing the transfer case into 2wd...if they seem to shift into gear and transfer rotation then the problem is prob in the clutch somewhere...if the wheels are difficult to turn by hand you prob have compacted mud in the drums as well...sounds like a pain in the butt..hope you get er fixed up:(

5. DeMag

DeMag Member

I ran over a good size limb in the edge of the path one time that caught in front of the front right wheel. I lost everything, shifted well into all gears but would not move, after inspecting the stick had the clutch cable pulled out and the clutch pedal was all the way up. It was the same as having the pedal shoved down to the floor. Off subject but similar problem.

6. mallardtm

mallardtm New Member

Last night I finally pressure washed most of the mud off, I still need to remove the wheels and clean everything behind it. I was a little bit frozen to continue, hope to finish the clean up this weekend. Once cleaned I need to take it to have someone check the clutch. Hopefully that is all I burned up.

Thanks for all the input, it has been a great help.

Anyone know a mechanic in the Nashville area that is familar with these trucks?

7. mallardtm

mallardtm New Member

Well, it's official. I finally got it all cleaned up. The clutch is definitely burned up. Got a new one ordered from Mini Trucks Parts Pro, should be here Friday. If all goes well, should be ready to hit the mud again by the weekend.

8. mallardtm

mallardtm New Member

Clutch Finally Repaired!

I finally got my new clutch installed. What a difference a brand new clutch makes. Also installed new Afco 10" 275 lb. coil springs, Part No. AFC-23275. It definitely tightened up the front, I hit a few good bumps and no more bottoming out. It raised my front end about an 1-1/2", already had a 2-1/2" lift on it.
    I did notice the front left pop a couple times when I slowed down and turned right. I hope I haven't put too much strain on my CV Joint. I hope it might be my spring seating itself a little. I plan to put a few miles on it later in the week and see what if the popping continues.
    My front diff has not been lowered yet, I know it probably needs to be.
    Does anyone have any tips or pics on doing this? Does the steering need to be lowered also?