1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

clutch plate: which direction?

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by SDK1968, Jan 10, 2020.

1. SDK1968

SDK1968 Active Member

yep call me a dummy....

when i finally got the pressure plate to come off the clutch disc fell out in the floor before i could see which way it faced.

been looking for a couple hours & havent seen it listed here or on you tube.

which direction does it go?

snout out to the tranny?

snout in to the flywheel?

2. Bigmac

Bigmac New Member

The raised side with the springs faces the trans

3. SDK1968

SDK1968 Active Member

thank you very much! that was a great pic that showed up in my email of the thread, but it doesnt actually show in the thread. it answered it perfectly.

i stuck the tranny up in there & could not get that baby lined up. could get it on both pins but it wouldnt pull up in there for nothing.

made a pilot/disc alignment bushing & reset it all. then tried 3 more times. STILL didnt get that booger to co operate.

back when i was young we would sit the tranny on our chest & just press it up into place. now that im old? put it on a floor jack & raised it up in there.... then just didnt have neough strength to muscle it around where it would slide into the disc.

quit for the day & gonna try again in the morning.

4. fmartin_gila

fmartin_gila Well-Known Member

Couple weeks ago I changed the clutch in my 2002 CarryVan with K6A Engine/5spd Trans. I had to do it by the pure muscle method as I only have a scissor jack for changing tires. I don't have a clutch alignment shaft so just centered the disc by very close scrutiny with the aid of a bright flashlight. Held the trans up while laying on my back and with some vigorous jiggling managed to push it all the way home by hand. If you continue to have difficulty with the alignment, you might try this, get it in as far as you can, start the bolts to keep the trans in that position and then hook up the release bearing and push the pedal enough to relieve some of the clamping pressure on the disc so It can slide a bit and allow the pilot to enter. I always have to figure out how to do these things by myself as I am 80 years old and have no help cause I'm married to a Philipino and you cannot explain anything mechanical to them(language barrier plus they do not understand most anything mechanical).

Good Luck.

Fred

Limestone likes this.
  5. SDK1968

SDK1968 Active Member

^^^ that was some good input.

i made an alignment tool out of a bolt. then after a couple more attempts my buddy came over & we rassled it around for another hour & then it finally slid in. thru the bolts to it & got it all hooked up. we went & tested it out. worked perfect!

Fred: always value your experience & had no idea you were 80! congrats on still being able to get er done!

Bigmac likes this.
  6. matt167

matt167 Active Member

The alignment tool for a Geo Metro will work, actually the Geo Metro clutch disc is the same providing you have a late 1992 or newer.

7. fmartin_gila

Thought that disc looked familiar. I owned a 96 Metro at one time. Been considering if I might be able to use that 1000cc engine as a replacement although the 660cc does well here considering the speeds & traffic in the Philippines.

Fred

8. matt167

matt167 Active Member

Not sure the bellhousing patterns are the same

9. SDK1968

SDK1968 Active Member

one thing i did notice was that the old clutch had 4 big springs in it...

the new clutch had 6 small springs....

why the change & what diff does it make? anybody know?

10. fmartin_gila

Noticed the same difference between old/new when I changed mine. I've changed out hundreds of clutchs over the last 50 or more years of wrenching and it just seems to be what each manufacturer considers their way to do it. Personally, I prefer the more numerous smaller springs for better shock absorbing on engagement for lighter vehicles and fewer but larger springs for more load capacity on trucks & larger vehicles.

Fred

11. SDK1968

SDK1968 Active Member

Fred,

thank you. had no idea that that was how it affected it. still learning new stuff all the time!