1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clicky With No Start.

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by Big_Adam, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Big_Adam

Big_Adam New Member

I could rebuild it, I guess, but if I fail then I still have to get a replacement. The new one is costing me £75 odd and I should be able to pick it up tomorrow. So I'd rather pay the one off and have it done than faff about for at least 4 more days (weekend, no deliveries as I'd have to order bits online).

Also, got the starter off, it was corroded in (thank you British road services, for all the salt). Tested it on the bench and still don't work.

2. Ran440

Ran440 Member

I believe you have isolated the problem. Time for a new starter.

3. Big_Adam

Big_Adam New Member

Ruddy Nora, bit of a run around.

Part shop had completely the wrong starter, so ordered one off ebay for £1 more than part shop.

Not looking forward to finding a oil filter, oil and wipers, as they will want doing soon.

4. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

I figured, but new is best if possible.

Why not wrench on it while you have it on the bench?
    Might easily become a good spare.

5. Big_Adam

Big_Adam New Member

Well, weirdly my 50year old mini, parts are fine and easy.

I've been GIVEN full engines, wheels, I can get racks, starters, master cylinders, wheel cylinder all no problem from the part shop,

2001 van, I'm screwed, I demand some logic about this.

6. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

Ha, ha...you demand do you..logic cannot be demanded.

You could probably get overnight air freight from Japan to London, and just about any part that you want.

How's that. :)

7. Big_Adam

Big_Adam New Member

Whoooooooooo,

Vans fixed, new starter in and it fired up loverly.

Ta for the advice chaps, its all sorted now. Well, I need to stick some heatshrink on the blade connector, as I only had bare ones left.

8. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

Excellent....

9. maxedoutinAK

maxedoutinAK New Member

Solenoid Disassembly and cleaning.
    After issues with my 93 suzuki carry not starting after starting just fine previously. I cam across this thread in my searches and trials to get it starting. once i figured out where to hit the starter i realized that if i tapped the solenoid side while someone was turning the key it would start everytime. Thats kinda of PITA to have to have a monkey tap the solenoid every time.
    Well being that im in Nome, Alaska and the local part sop didnt have a solenoid or a starter. i looked up online a about cleaning solenoids as they are just about the main reason to get the click sound with a full battery. Well i found out through some net surfing that if i could get the solenoid off and clean it i might have a chance of not having to buy any parts. What did i have to lose. well getting the solenoid off was the easy part- 10mm and 12mm wrenching then wiggle the sucker right off there - just keep wiggling and she'll come! From what i read online about other solenoids was that there were screws that hold the solenoid cap( with the posts) to the main base, those screw would have to removed and then a soldering iron would have to be used to heat the two soldered connections while pulling apart the cap. Well my stock ccarry solenoid dint have in screws in the cap - just the soldered connections. wondering how the hell the thing was put together i saw that the metal housing had actually been press fitted around the cap. I thought i would give it a try with a flat head screw driver and bend the 1-2mm of the housing back going around the whole cap and then de-soldereing.
    Well it worked perfectly. once i got the cap off by 1) working my way around with the screw driver prying the the metal out of the of the way of the cap, then 2)I alternated heating the soldered connections with the soldering iron while pulling up gently moving the cap. took about 4-6 iterations of this to free the cap. Voile! i could see teh contactor which was slightly carboned up so i scrubbed teh crapp out of copper connections and just reversed the process for assembly. Put her in the truck and fired right up. Thought this might help some out of replacing a $200-300 dollar starter. Sorry for the long post. First post , to excited to contribute something useful!!