1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Choke Function NA Carb

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by Randal Sue Bee, Dec 28, 2020.

1. Randal Sue Bee

Randal Sue Bee New Member

Re Choke Function. (I promise my questions will get less stupid.)

The Choke Actuator is a 'bell shaped' pot with an arm to the choke linkage.

Is Actuator Arm Extended = Choke On, or Choke Off?

2. Limestone

Limestone Well-Known Member

Randal,
    It's really not a stupid question, because a manual choke can be mounted to pull or push a butterfly choke open or closed! It all depends on how the cable was mounted or routed! I suggest that you take the air cleaner/filter off, and visually inspect, and LEARN! It really can be fun! Most, like to pull to open, but some, installations, won't permit it! Good Luck!
    Limestone

3. Randal Sue Bee

Randal Sue Bee New Member

It is an automatic choke, OEM equipment. I removed the cover to reveal what I described. Sitting cold, the Actuator Arm is extended. I can push it back into the actuator, (changing the choke butterfly position) and it springs back extended when I release it. So what position is the choke butterfly in, On, or Off?

4. Limestone

Limestone Well-Known Member

Randal,
    Can you see the butterfly? You can tell the difference by the sound it makes! Muffled is closed, and open has a louder sound to it! Like a deep hollow louder sound! I might be making this more confusing! Maybe someone with a Sambar can chime in and help! sorry!
    Limestone