1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Check my oil, not so easy...

Discussion in 'Honda Acty' started by unclejemima, Oct 28, 2007.

1. unclejemima

unclejemima Member

Well, how hard can it be to check your oil??? Not so difficult, eh???

I cant figure out what is the right way to check mine.

When i pull the dipstick out after it sat over night, it shows about 1/4. If i re-insert it, and then check again it shows 3/4...which is correct???
    I figure the 1/4 is correct because its sitting in the oil tank all night, and that must be the level of the tank, but why is it showing 3/4 when i try it a second time???

How do you check yours??? Will i wreck anything by running only 1/4 up the stick?

What is the actual capacity of the oil tank on the acty's, mines a 91 acty 660. i remember someone once posting it from what they found in an owners manual (drock?), but i cant find it any more? 2.5L??? Its got me worried everytime i fire it up.
    -mark

2. d rock

d rock Member

if you look on the "crossed" portion of the dipstick (part at the bottom), according to the diagram in my owner's handbook, as long as the oil is showing on that it is still okay. obviously, the lower it shows, it would mean you can add a bit to top it off. when i changed my oil i put in 2.5 litres and it shows almost full. i've been out of province for three weeks (get home late tues) so i will scan and post the page of the manual then.
    i would trust the original morning reading. comments?

3. Colin

Colin Member

After you start the engine, you need to wipe the oil off the dipstick and reinsert it for a clean reading. Crank windage will cause a higher reading than actual.

Colin

4. unclejemima

unclejemima Member

So Colin, what i should do is fire the truck up, turn it off, let it sit for 5 minutes and then check the level...is that correct?

Should i just set the dipstick in, or screw it in, back it off and check the level. Is that being to hardcore? I always just set the dipstick in, but not thread it in.

And d rock, its good to have you back. Please make a scan if you have time, it would be great to see it and have it for information purposes.

Take care,
    -mark

5. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

Sorry, but I gotta disagree. I check mine cold, when the oil is all in the pan. I just pull the dipstick out my truck and look at it. If the oil is between the two holes that signify max and minimum oil levels, I'm good to go.

6. unclejemima

unclejemima Member

Interesting. Well, i would have figured that i should get the same readings both times no matter which way i check it, but apparently it makes a difference. I'll wait for d-rocks to post a scan of his manual. I know i put in almost 3 litres in mine, and its about 1/4 way up the stick when i check the first thing in the morning, and about 3/4 way up if i re-check. I guess i'll just have to go on oil capacity.

I totally forgot, but I'm running a NAPA 21365 filter, which is much deeper than the stock one. I'm assuming it holds more oil in that as well, that why my 3L of oil vs the recommended 2.5L is showing what it is on the dipstick.

There should be no problem in using a oil filter that deeper and holds more oil that the stock one, would there be?

-mark

7. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

Yup. What you're probably looking at is surface tension from the oil. Sounds a bit thick? It's not unusual to have to wipe it off, and recheck, and it's not like there is a large gap between high, low, and safe.

8. eaglebkh

eaglebkh New Member

I thought that was standard proceedure for checking oil in any vehicle: take the dipstick out, wipe it off, re-insert all the way and then take it back out and read.

Also, are you parked on an incline?

Brandon

9. abcminitrucks

abcminitrucks Member

It it always best to check the oil when cold...that way you know all of it is in the pan. If you start the engine...then you need to give it a few minutes after you shut it off to let the oil drain back in to the pan.

10. d rock

d rock Member

back home, just waiting to get my truck back from a buddy and will scan and post the pix then...

11. unclejemima

unclejemima Member

Looking forward to it.
    -mark