1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cheapest Dealer on Vancouver Island?

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by Mr. Sparkle, Apr 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Sparkle

Mr. Sparkle Member

Hi,

Who has the most reasonable prices on Vancouver Island for mini trucks. I find most places charge a little too much for these vehicles compared to what they are imported for. I can see $5000 for a vehicle in really good shape and insurable, but $6000-9000 seems excessive.

Any info appreciated.

2. TRAX and HORNS

TRAX and HORNS Well-Known Member

Mr. Sparkle, Might call Jeremy at Mini Bruts Mini Trucks(canada) and see if he knows someone over your way. We spent a week in Seashelt a couple of years ago visiting some friends. We spent another 2 days running around Vancouver Island. What a place to live. Couldn't get over it getting dark at 10pm. We had a really good time, met some fine people, and saw some beautiful country. Our friends had a 1945 30 ft. Chris Craft that we spent all day on running around the inlet bays. Ferry rides were cool. Saw more bald eagles than box of moon pies.
    Hopefully we will get a chance to go back.
    Good luck in finding a truck.

3. Mr. Sparkle

Mr. Sparkle Member

Hey,

Thanks for the info.

Yes, it is a great place to live. I didn't design it, but I sure am proud of it. I am always happy to hear someone has enjoyed themselves out here.

I'll let you know how my quest goes.

Paul

4. getabitlit

getabitlit Member

Vancouver prices

Mr.Sparkle,

Hate to say it but most mini trucks around here will be at least $5000 - $6000 or more plus inspection etc. With our dollar being devalued against the Yen recently (past 5 months) any imports from Japan have gone up significantly. In addition all shipping costs are paid in US dollars, which means a container of mini trucks has gone up 30% since this time last year!

I agree that $5000 - $7000 isn't "cheap" these days, but if we don't pay the importers for their services, it will be the end of importing Mini trucks here for a while. And remember with used vehicles, cheaper is rarely better.

On the island try Todd at www.minitruck.ca

If you need a truck located around Vancouver, try us

Cheers

Josh

5. Mr. Sparkle

Mr. Sparkle Member

Umm...You can still land a 4 out of 5 truck in Vancouver for under $3000 CDN (roll on, roll off). Inspection, tires and lights is around $500. Shipping to Vancouver Island is under $400 CDN. Where does the extra $3000 come into it? If some one wants to offer a reasonable mark-up, like $1000, I am interested.

6. confuzed

confuzed Member

another route..... send your money to Japan...let a buyer buy you a truck.....pay your shipping import fees inspections ..... and hope it runs when it gets here....... they are in bussiness means a profit..... it also means a risk... they are the ones who swallow the cost of a bad truck that is not road worthy..... want to see a rip off? trade your vehicle in on a new car go back a week later and see what they are selling it for now i bet you wished they gave you that much when you sold it to them

7. getabitlit

getabitlit Member

Mr.Sparkle,

Shipping for $3000 sounds right, but than you have to add on the soil inspection, brokerage fee, form 1 prep, GST and Duty etc. when it arrives here, and if customs hangs on to it for a couple extra days your looking at $100 a day penalty/ truck.

Also, if you can get an inspection done and get new tires and rims for $500, add that guy to your list of someone not making any money. New snow rims $60 each, new snow tires $80 each, thats $560 plus a $200 inspection and minor repairs to pass, hauling it to and from inspections takes you time as well, gotta count that.

Also, there are risks associated with importing used vehicles you've never seen or driven before. I agree with Confused, if you get 7 trucks brought in and even one wont pass inspection your out a significant amount of money.

If you think you can save a lot of money just do it yourself. Business always looks easier and cheaper when your not doing it.

8. confuzed

confuzed Member

Oh by the way no I am not a dealer or associated with one. I do know that the dealer I bought mine from is wreacking at least one truck because it was not road worthy here. That is a cost that some one must cover. Not sure about how things are done in B.C. but both the local dealers her sell them with inspections all repairs are done by them at thier cost. Sorry to go on but try and buy a North American truck that gets this milage, is this much fun, has 4 wheel drive (and if you have a good dealer) the sales person stands behind what he sells, for $5000 - $7000 won't happen. If you buy a N.A. used truck for that price you are garrantied to drive it off the lot then ur on ur own.

9. Mr. Sparkle

Mr. Sparkle Member

Getabitlit: A sale is better than no sale and $1000 profit is nothing to sneeze at. Economic times as they are everyone needs to be a bit more flexible.

Regardless of all said above, I still can not justify a $4000-6000 increase. I work with a guy who has brought in cars before from Japan. He is offering to get me a good Suzuki Carry for $3000. The reason I am not going with him is that I work with him and sometimes it is best not to get into large transactions with friends or people you work with. He has explained to me what is involved and I know it is not as expensive as it is made out to be.

And yes, I think I will do this on my own (unless anyone locally wants to do a reasonable deal, please let me know). There seems to be a lot of 'you're doomed unless you deal with us' on this board' and I don't buy it.

10. Mr. Sparkle

Mr. Sparkle Member

Oh yes...thanks for all the responses!

11. Tinytoy

Tinytoy Member

Best of luck on what your trying to do.
    I payed the dealers price here for: warranty,parts,problem solving,ect!
    Worth the markup in my opinion.
    Had vehicle issues when first purchased and warranty was upheld.
    Its really hard to phone the guys you bought your truck from to see if you could borrow a carb to do some tinkering if your the importer!
    I am a HVAC tech and if you think the markup on the trucks is bad the furnace in your house is marked up 50/100%

12. confuzed

confuzed Member

I too thought the mark up was high until I checked out single vehicle shipping rates.Taxes ,Broker fees, and then out of province inspection fee oh yes and a 15 year old truck WILL NEED SOME REPAIRS TO PASS. The dealers info is pricless parts access at a reasonable cost as you have a relationship. You would not buy from him because you work with him??? and save $2000????? but hey to each his own best of luck

13. Mr. Sparkle

Mr. Sparkle Member

Yes, believe it or not, maintaining a healthy relationship with someone your work with in a career you wish to continue in is worth more than $2000.

14. getabitlit

getabitlit Member

If you can get a Carry for $3000 go for it, that's not a big transaction this day and age. A quad in rough shape would cost you the same. At this price you should import 7 of them and sell them each for $3500, they'll sell fast.

Enjoy your truck when you get it.

Just a note, I'm not a dealer just a business owner..... just keep in mind other expenses dealers have to cover with their $1000 "profit" you think is too much...... rent, salaries, office exp, advertising, marketing etc.....unfortunately it doesn't all go in your pocket.

15. Mr. Sparkle

Mr. Sparkle Member

Hey...just to clarify: I don't think a grand or two is too much. I think that $4000-6000 is too much to add to one of these vehicles.

Anyway...I have a fully inspected (with all records of government inspection and fully parted for Canadian roads), road tested, ready to insure 1993 Suzuki Carry (auction grade 4.0 out of 5.0) being delivered to my house tomorrow for a very reasonable price that includes shipping. All I have to do is insure it.

Yes, it can be done and there are people out their willing to deal.

16. Meesho

Meesho Member

Please post pics of this $3000 carry when you get it tommorow! Considering $3000 will barely cover your shipping, fees, duties and I am very curious to see what you got!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Last edited: Apr 25, 2009
  17. Mr. Sparkle

Mr. Sparkle Member

I didn't say I got it for $3000. That is what you can land it for if you bring in one vehicle. Now, if you are someone who brings in units (a container), $3000 is high per vehicle. I got a good price for a vehicle being delivered to Victoria, and yes, I will post pics, but it may take me an extra day or two to post them (I use a computer with Ubuntu, and I have not tried linking a digital camera up and downloading pics.) What I am getting at is the mark up that is put on these vehicles is unreasonable. I am wiling to pay a convenience markup to not have to go pick it up my self, but again, 3,4,6 grand is not fair to me. It is a fear factor being pushed...dealing with the unknown evil Japanese market that is just pushing lemon after lemon out the door. Sorry, no! If someone is going to personally drive the vehicle here and let me check it out (with papers) they have my attention.

Also, I have talked now to many people who have dealt with local dealers an it is not a fool proof and guaranteed as most people think. I was just talking with someone tonight who dealt locally (Subara Sambar) and, though he likes the vehicle, it was a hassle (2 months to get a vehicle that was sitting on the lot, the owner was totally unresponsive and just lolly gaged) and needed work even though the markups mentioned were paid. The vehicle was not clean or checked for high idling. He paid a premium price and still had to do work on it. I'd rather take my chances, pocket the mark up and deal with issues, if any, that arise.

I am beginning to think that this site is filled with shills trying to downplay other options. Maybe not. Life is full of alternatives...exercise these options.

If I fail, fine, at least I tried.

18. tmikewww

tmikewww Member

Mr Sparkle,
    After 39 years in the "auto business", you bring back "memories" of why,,,, I'm glad I retired!
    Tmikewww
    (tom)

19. Mr. Sparkle

Mr. Sparkle Member

tmikewww: Yeah, noting worse than a consumer who decides to inform him/herself. Glad I make you feel secure in your decision to retire. Perhaps you can go hangout with some GM execs or Recording Execs and complain about how unfair changing markets are. Or perhaps you can go talk to some people who have invented different, more efficient forms of business that can pass on the savings to the consumer. Why do you think Amazon is a success?

20. confuzed

confuzed Member

Congrats on the truck!:D now the real fun begins ...... driving it Oh yes i know you can get deals I did but the cecumstances have to be right for both parties.I got a fun truck and they got rolling advertisement. Oh yes i love to talk and love my truck sooooo some times a stop at the local gas station (for coffee not gas) can take half an hour.Never be in a rush lol people love to ask questions about them:cool:

21. Mr. Sparkle

Mr. Sparkle Member

Thanks...nice to read a positive post. I will make sure to post some pics as I am sure that many probably think I am fabricating this.

And yes, I am looking forward to driving it. I have only heard good things about driving them. Perhaps next time I go back to Japan, I'll try driving over there, too. :)

22. Badgerland

Badgerland Member

Mr Sparkle,

First-off, I wish you good luck on finding a great mini truck that will fit your needs and budget. I applaud your attitude at being an educated consumer because it will help you in the long run in finding exactly what you want. I enjoy talking to educated consumers as I spend a great deal of time on the phone every week speaking to people that know nothing about mini trucks and try to help them become informed before they spend a dime with me (or anyone else for that matter). On the flip side of that coin, there are shady mini truck dealers just like in any other line of retail sales...guys only out to make a quick buck and leave consumers high & dry. Sounds like your acquaintance dealt with just that type of stereo-typical "used car" salesman. What I dont feel is fair is to group all dealers together in a negative sense; that is just plain ignorance on your behalf. There are many good dealers that contribute to this board and want to move the entire industry forward. They will stand behind the vehicles they sell and take good care of their customers. There are also some bad apples that seem to make their way through from time to time. Tell me what industry doesn't suffer from that dilemna??? And I'm really not sure what you're getting at with the comment about lemon-after-lemon coming out of Japan. It sounds like your bashing the very product that your looking to acquire??? :sly:

As far as mark-up goes, you will find truck prices all over the place with dealers because there is little to actually set prices from. I've witnessed dealers setting premium prices on trucks with 80k, 90k, even 100k km+ just because there's a camo-stenciled paint job (most likely covering-up major body issues). ??? It does happen. There have been dealers that sold "parts trucks" to people at ridiculous prices. It does happen. But, then again, there are people that call constantly knowing nothing about mini trucks, but are sure they can buy a good truck for $2K - $3K. Again...there's always a flip side to the coin.

We are in completely different markets. The true CN dealers have to invest money into just about every truck that rolls off of a container to make them legally ready for sale (with road use in mind). Again...that covers none of the service work that might need to be done and prep work. How many times do you see pictures of a filthy truck for sale on someone's web site? Should be a great indicator of what to expect if you actually went to see the truck in-person. A reputable dealer has HOURS of clean-up and prep work done on a nice truck before it is ready for sale.

You're landing a nice, low-mileage truck for $3000?!? Are you kidding me? JUMP ALL OVER IT! But DO NOT come here and bash people that are running a business simply based off of pricing because I am taking that as a direct insult. If you want to comment that a specific dealer's pricing seems high and take the time to call them to find out why their price is what it is, by all means, you have an audience. You have no idea what went into acquiring a specific truck and not every truck simply showed-up at a dealer's location off the container truck!

Now that is just an unnecessary slam of all users of this board and mini truck enthusiasts in general. You have nothing to base that comment off of other than your local experience. Most of the dealer's here completely support the community and its because of us that trucks, parts, and accessories have become so much more widely available (with decreased costs to boot).

I only ask that you tread a little more lightly with your choice of words and show a little more respect for people in an industry that your obviously new to. I think it will benefit your cause in the long run.

- Dan

23. Mr. Sparkle

Mr. Sparkle Member

Good to hear

How did I group 'all' dealers into a stereo typical group. I think you are putting words into my mouth and making inferences that aren't there. As you said above, there are good and bad. If I had this myopic view about all dealers then I wouldn't have just paid one for the Suzuki Carry sitting in my drive way.

None...and again you are making inferences. I worked in wholesale silver for 7 years and I know a thing or two about fair and unfair mark up.

I have seen quotes on this board about how low quality vehicles are being shipped out of Japan all the time and by not going with a dealer one is putting themselves at risk. Yes, there is a risk bring into Vancouver and if you had read my posts a little less selectively you would have seen that I made reference to paying what I thought was fair for the service – which, again, I just did, to a dealer. I posted this, but you must have missed it. I listed what he was providing and that he was delivering it to my door - literally. He is a great guy, super nice, told me a lot more about the business, etc.

I did my research and I was confident that I could get what I wanted for a price I wanted – and I did. I am still confident that dealers in my area, not yours, not everywhere, tend to overcharge. There is a difference.

This thread is about Vancouver Island, right – please keep that in mind. I do not know how much a vehicles is in the USA – not really interested as I am not buying one from there. I am only talking about dealers in my area (Vancouver Island) – I haven't named names or anything, but I did my homework. What I am getting at is that dealers are not the great panacea for all one's trucking needs. People can do it on their own or find someone, like I did, who will sell a good vehicle for a lower price. As you said, not all dealers are bad, but some are. Also, I have seen a fear element being pushed on this site that the car may be garbage or in bad need of repair. Sure, It could happen.

Whom did I directly bash? If I feel that mark ups are too high then I have a right to say so. Did I say all dealers? No, I didn't. And again, I just dealt with someone who gave me a good deal (he too is well aware of the gouging that does goes on in the industry - not everywhere, not everybody, but it does happen). If you wish to be insulted by something that does actually occur, then really, that isn't my problem.

Also, if you read my posts again, the $3000 was what a workmate could 'land' one for. If anyone has any doubts go to the IBC website in Japan, make and account and you can see what the average sale price is for each type of vehicle and what it will cost to get the vehicle to Vancouver. There is also 24 hour chat to talk to reps there. I ran my financial scenario by them and they where more than confident they could get me what I wanted at the price I wanted. They also have reps at each auction listed to check out the vehicle. I have also been PM'd by people who have dealt successfully with IBC. I decided to go with the person I went with because I didn't feel like having to go to Vancouver, from Victoria. I don't have the time. It was worth it to let someone else deal with that end of things.

Re: Shills - My comment was colloquial. Do you actually think I am slamming all users on this board? I have read probably hundreds of posts on this board and I have seen some recurring themes. But to say that I am attacking everyone is complete overkill.

I think, with all due respect, that you need to read my posts a little more carefully. I have not directly attacked anyone and have made comments based on what I have leaned and personal experience. I now have a vehicle, from a dealer in Vancouver, and I am happy with it. The End.

24. confuzed

confuzed Member

I did not see the post previous to my last yes i agree you were out of line and rude to tmikewww it was uncalled for.so what is the great price you got is for?was it thru a dealer?my dealer is exceptional the wife wanted to get me something for my truck for christmas she phoned my dealer he did the research and got her prices and where it was available got back to her the same day.he made nothing from this but good pr.if i have questions about parts i drop in have coffee and get all the info i need not always a purchase from him but where i can get what i need.the only thing i have really needed for my truck since purchase was tires only because i wanted new tires for alberta winters he offered me tires at his cost but i opted to find my own.

25. Mr. Sparkle

Mr. Sparkle Member

I was rude to tmikewww? Come on? Did you read his post to me. Someone telling me I make them happy their retired is not particularly pleasant.

26. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

As much as I like to read this bickering... I think it has to come to an end before we make any more friends.

-Greg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.