1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cheap mini's in Houston $2500 each

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by maxsutter, Mar 14, 2008.

1. maxsutter

maxsutter New Member

My fellow paintball team captain informed me that there is a guy selling mini's for $2500 - why are all of these sponsors sites mini's so expensive? -

2. Subaru

Subaru Member

You get what you pay for--headaches are cheap:frustration:

3. timn3

timn3 New Member

heres the facts on the trucks dealers buy them 7 at a time from japan at 800 to 1200 a truck depending on the year etc plus 2500 to have them shipped over thats 10.900 at 1200 a truck lets just call it even 11000..so they go and sell 2 trucks to us at 5500 a truck they made there money back and have 5 more to sell at around 5000 thats 25000 not bad

4. dwink

dwink Member

Those trucks for 2500 are either beat to nothing or 2wd. Most trucks in the 97 or older age bracket cost about $3,000 to 3,500 to get to your destination. The 99's, jumbos, and vans are more. Then you factor having your money tied up for 6 to 8 wks. I would be sceptical of 2500 trucks, that doesn't sound right.

5. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

I would be extremely skeptical of those cheap trucks. About all I'd want to buy them for, would be for the possibility of making the money back in parts sales.

6. JRinTX

JRinTX Moderator

Wow, Timn3!

I wish that I had your source!

Here are the facts, based on alot of research, putting up the money and going thru the process myself...

Early to mid 1990's trucks,
    in good condition (qty 7) = 2300.00 to 2800.00/ea in Japan

Shipping from Japan to final destination in Beaumont, TX = 6900.00/lot

Misc. (oil, filters, cleaning, cost of investment, advertising, etc) = approx. 80.00/truck

Total cost per truck = approx 3600.00/truck (that's a $25,000.00 investment!)

You typically wind up with one truck that is in bad condition, 4 in good condition and 2 in fair condition. My average price (after hard negiotiating with folks that believe the prices are as you mention) was $4200.00/ea.

So, I wound up making about 4000.00 on a load for all my work, time and risk....

I know that there are better sources out there, but I also know that no one is getting rich selling minitrucks!....unless it's the guys in Japan..:rolleyes:

7. De-icer

De-icer Member

The facts are you obviously have no clue what-so-ever on actual costs of mini trucks and shipping, your comment is laughable. For quality trucks the minimum you're going to spend is probably around 1700.00 and more than likely closer to 2000.00. Shipping a container to your shop here in the states is AT LEAST 5300.00, usually around 5500-5600. Not to mention the dozen misc. fees charged in japan as they are being loaded. You need to do your homework before you get on here and pretend to know what your talking about. :D

8. kmoneil

kmoneil Administrator Staff Member

Is this a way to advertise your biz or your friends biz? :sly: Seems like it to me :cool: Seems a little cheap to me. You do get what you pay for.

9. JRinTX

JRinTX Moderator

Kevin, I really do not think there is a seller in Houston that is selling trucks for $2500. I am just 80 miles from Houton and keep up with the mini truck market over here. I have met or have been to most dealers locations. They all have comparable costs and selling prices on their trucks.

10. MichTrucks

MichTrucks Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I wonder if this the the guy selling WWII Jeeps?

This sounds alot like the guy that could get me WWII jeeps at $200.00 each. Still crated without tires and batteries. He just needed to get commitments for 10 lots of 10. He disappeared right after I said I would take 100 of them... That was 35 years ago. Perhaps this is his son!

11. oldplug1

oldplug1 Member

Hey JR, just think all you have to do is sell about 70 trucks a year and you'll be able to quit your day job and live a nice lower middle class lifestyle...LOL Maybe Timm3 would like to put up 11 k to see what you get for your money.
    Jim

12. zbadboy

zbadboy Member

JRinTX's comments are spot on. I just received a shipment this week. I have a exporter that sends quality trucks. Of the seven there were a few I should have paid less but a few I thought I got more then what I paid for. So overall I am happy.

I'll add one other cost....carrying cost. Everyday that vehicle sits on the lot you are paying interest on it. It's either interest you are paying because you bought on credit or interest you are not receiving on your money because you bought with cash. Just my 2 cents.....interest free of course:)

Jeff

13. dvf557

dvf557 New Member

So you are saying for a mini in good shape, 4200.00 is a fair price for both the dealer and the buyer?

14. oldplug1

oldplug1 Member

$2500.00 mini Truck, don't laugh guys it's for real!! Just check out this sweet ride.:D:D:D

Attached Files:

15. zbadboy

zbadboy Member

$4,300 is generally the lowest I can go on a single purchase. Not all my trucks are in this price group. Multiple trucks allows for more of a discount. This reduces inventory which lets me order more trucks.

I'd like to also add that I have seen people advertise trucks starting at $3,000-$10,000. I was curious and called to inquire about one of there $3,000 trucks. They didn't have any in stock.:frustration: I think this is the old car salesmen trick to get you in the door.;) "Sorry I just sold that one Yesterday.":rolleyes: "Can I interest you in this $10,000 one over here?":D

16. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

Hey, I'll run that through inspection, and slap plates on that bad boy no problem!!!! :D

17. miniMOG

miniMOG Member

2500 sounds pretty cheap. We sell "good" 90s trucks for $3500 everyday, and painted, lifted trucks with new wheels and tires for $4200. And discounts for multiple units.
    Did anyone ever find out where they are selling for 2500, and what you get for that kind of money?

18. jpbunch

jpbunch New Member

Houston mini trucks

I doubt there is anyone selling decent trucks in Houston for $2,500. If someone in the Houston area has good trucks for sale for $2,500, please call me (I won't hold my breath though). Many of my buyers tell me they have looked all over and are happy with my prices. A buyer can get a good base truck for about $4,000 to $4,500 in Houston.
    John
    www.houstonminitrucks.com

19. ddimports

ddimports Member

this one is mint

i paid over 6500. us for this truck in japan!
    quality cost!

Attached Files:

20. Subaru

Subaru Member

looks good-wish I could translate though....I assume that was a to your door price?

21. mistersweeper

mistersweeper New Member

:)
    Is this the one you're gittin' for me Derik???

Blair.

22. ddimports

ddimports Member

that is fob price you can ad freight duty and taxes to that! It will land here about 8500 to 9000 after safety. At that price i think i have to keep it as a demo. but if you want quality you have to pay for it. a lot of people wanted that truck but were not willing to pay what i was willing to pay. remember in canada it has to be 15yrs and older to import that truck is a 1993 if it was a 1994 it would have gone for half that much. supply and demand = price in a free market!

23. mistersweeper

mistersweeper New Member

Yeah I was just kidding you.....LOL

24. jhoke

jhoke New Member

cheap trucks in houston

bought a truck in houston for 2500 had to pull motor new head gasket ,new rings and a lot of other stuff still looking for sruts the guy had to get out of busness because of legal problems so good luck on buying a truck for 2500

25. Colin

Colin Member

Seems like you'll spend about $5000 on a minitruck one way or another. You could buy a clapped out jalopy for $2500 and put another $2500 into it or buy a decent truck for $5000 outright.

I paid $3950 for mine... now I'm putting a $1200 engine into it. That's pretty much due to my own stupidity, though. :eek:

Colin

26. Stuff99

Stuff99 Moderator Staff Member

lol "This sounds alot like the guy that could get me WWII jeeps at $200.00 each. Still crated without tires and batteries." I wish I could to. At least these mini trucks are real and you can actually get them. (not the 2500 ones, i meant mini trucks in general)