1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Charging Problem

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet References' started by Wyldeman, Aug 8, 2009.

1. Wyldeman

Wyldeman New Member

Charging Problem "PROBLEM SOLVED"

New Alternator, New Battery......still havin trouble starting it after about a hour or so....
    The fan stays on all the time that might have something to do with it? The alternator is new and 65amp.
    Any ideas would help
    Note: When i got the truck the wires to the fan where messed with. it has a ground on it so the fan stays on.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2009
  2. MichTrucks

MichTrucks Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Your fan switch wiring was messed with because the guy before possible had a bad temp switch and just bypassed the problem. First check the temp switch and go from there.

3. Wyldeman

Wyldeman New Member

Ok... did the water test and the temp censor shows to be bad, Went to ABC ( parts house local ) and they couldnt look it up ( figures ) ...so now im in need of the switch.
    While i was into the water department i took the thermostat out and they had crimped it open for some strange reason...so im in need of a new thermostat also. The parts house crossed over the ref#'s from a different post and found that a Suzuki Swift had the same thermostat, that part is at a parts house 35 miles away. wish i could just get it all at one place.
    Where can i go to get these lil rascals...
    S80LP Daihatsu Jumbo
    thermo fan switch ( i did the hot water check with the censor and an ohm meter, didn't change so as per the Hyjet manual its bad )
    thermostat ( the person before me had tampered with the thermostat and bent it to stay open ALL the time, Go figure...you have it apart get a new thermostat if that one was defective...dughhhhhh)
    some times i never understand.....Like Ron White says " You can't fix stupid!"

Last edited: Aug 9, 2009
  4. Wyldeman

Wyldeman New Member

Steven
    Do you think that with the fan running all the time would cause the battery to go down enough to not let it start?
    It started right up this morning before i found all the little goodies that the previous own had left me. I took the parts out and headed to the part store after about 3 parts stores and 3 hrs later i came home and put it back together ( less thermostat ) and did my feeding with the ole jumbo. After that i parked it. I feed everyday ( horses that is ) that's why i traded my K-mule for this Jumbo so i can stay dry and warm this winter.

5. MichTrucks

MichTrucks Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Fan running with the engine off will drain the battery. The surprising thing is if they actually just used a hot wire and didn't go through the ignition switch. If the fan was throught the ign. switch and on only when the key is on then you shouldn't have encountered a draining of the battery problem...So I assume from your post that the fan always runs, even with the key off.

BUT, if they just jumped the thermo switch then it could be it doesn't go through the ign. Switch.

So till you get a new temp switch putting in a toggle switch and having it on when running will keep you out there feeding the horses.

WE have 30+ horses we own and feed so I understand the need for a mini truck.

6. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

The question is weather or not the battery goes dead when the truck is sitting unused or it just wont crank over after you shut it off after using it. Steven is right... The fan running constanly while the truck is running should not drain the battery.

7. Wyldeman

Wyldeman New Member

I drove it aroun.d an hr or so then tried to start it an it wouldnt. so i assumed its a battery issue. the fan only runs when the key is on.

8. Wyldeman

Wyldeman New Member

ok now here is some new news...
    Took the alt to have it checked...its ok
    Took the battery had it checked.......ok
    now i took a wire with an 80 fusible link in it ran it straight from the alt to battery...no difference... after a short time the voltage starts to drop...
    there has to be some thing in the t and i wire that plugs into the back of the alt to tell it to start charging...am i right?
    with the key on both wires have power..
    with the key off ..no power
    im at my wits end here ANY help would be greatly appreciated.

Greg...the truck will start the next day after its cool i guess...but i only have one chance or i then have to jump start it. The battery goes down driving it, i turned the head lights on and it started to die this afternoon so i quickly put my jumpers on it. Then it was alright.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2009
  9. Wyldeman

Wyldeman New Member

here we go....
    i went to the auto parts store after sleeping on the problem and stayed there for about 2 hrs bugging the parts man to death till he got out his BIG BOOK.
    if you don't have a make model year most of them cant help you. Then throw in a mini truck they throw their hands up in the air....lol
    Finally i came to the conclusion that i would just put one of those radiator temp switches in, the kind that has a temp control that sticks in the radiator and hook up wires and turn the control knob to the desired temp for the fan to come on,bla bla bla
    while i was there i got a new alternator belt, rad cap, a new thermostat. Well off to the house i go. Saying a few prayers as i go, got to the house and took a look at everything again. started with the easiest first, the thermostat. Then the new alt belt. While i was tightening up the alt belt i noticed that the wire they had grounded to the frame was a fan wire. I took it loose taped up the spot where they had it grounded. Knowing that the thermo-control switch works as the wax melts i thought to my self I'll just unplug it and "paper clip " it then tape it up. Then i gave it a try....It was Divine Intervention!!!!!
    I'm charging at 13.48 to 13.56 at an idle. Drove it for a few miles and tried to start it....bumped right off!!! Its even running better than it had been. Then fan comes on when i start but no problem. The heater works now too!!!!!
    I want to THANK EVERYBODY that has been scratching their head as i was too...Now i also thought a new belt might have a little to do with it too, never know ALL im glad about is it runs great and is charging like a dream!
    I just need a new thermo switch and im set.....for now till i get ready to do more mods....lol
    Special Thanks To ALL

10. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

glad you got it working... Sometimes its easy to overlook.

11. byrne05

byrne05 New Member

battery not charging on hijet

hi - I have the exact same problem with my hijet - battery was not charging so:
    1. got brand new battery
    2. tried a recon and a brand new alternator - still not charging

Are you saying that you solved this by checking the continuity of the earth wire that is screwed to the actuall alternator casing itself?

Do you know if there is any relays that are in between the alternator and the battery or is it just a straight feed from the alternator back to the battery? i.e. I checked all my fuses but maybe there is a blown relay somewhere?

Any help much appreciated? At wits end with this one - especially since its stuck at a services 60 miles from my home!. Thanks :)

12. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

sounds like the engine ground strap is bad or not getting good contact with the chassis..the alternator is grounded through the engine block and without a proper ground strap you can a have a good battery a good alternator and still no charging...clamp the neg clamps on a set of jumper cables to your chassis on one end and the engine on the other(obviously make sure no moving parts nearby) start the engine and using a multimeter check for voltage to the battery..if you have around 14v at high idle the ground strap is the problem.

13. bob2068

bob2068 New Member

65 amp alternator?

did the larger alternator bolt right on? I would like to beef up mine do you have a make and part number?

14. byrne05

byrne05 New Member

Yep it was a ground problem

thanks very much to all here who helped. My battery was not charging because of a dodgy earth wire somewhere. I managed to get it home using a jump lead connecting engine block to chassis.
    Thanks so much. Now I can find the dodgy wire in the warmth of my garage!

15. dieselsdad

dieselsdad New Member

Wyldeman,

Do you know the part number for the alternator you used? I am in need of one for my 95 Hijet.

Thanks,

16. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

Rebuild is the best way to go

17. Badgerland

Badgerland Member

Try locating an alternator shop in your neck of the woods. If you pull your stock alternator and take it in, most good shops can rebuild/rewind it to a higher amp output and save you some $$$ in the process. That's what most are doing that need additional amps for accessories.

Dan