1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

changing tires?...power problems?

Discussion in 'References' started by oldsnowman, Nov 5, 2008.

1. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

yes and no...the stock 12s (if they were the original Japanese tires) were 6 ply and much harder....but otherwise,yes I'd say larger diameter is going to ride better...tire pressure is a big factor on such a small vehicle...I've been experimenting with pressures from 20psi-30 psi. 25 seems about right with no real load in the back...although around 22psi the ride was very good:)

2. akguy09

akguy09 Member

i am thinking about getting rid of the atv tires and upgrading too a 185/70r13

3. jwetovick

jwetovick Member

This is what I'm trying to do as well. Just need to find some 13in wheels. Local junk yard has some off an older vehicle and they still want $45 per wheel. Gotta be some out there for cheaper somewhere.

4. akguy09

akguy09 Member

I paid $100 for 4 datsun 210 13 inch rims from the salvage yard, then I sanded and painted them. I have 155/80-13's now but would like a little taller and a litter wider, and my atv tires are 25x8 which are too big and are killing my power in 4hi, so I always run 4 lo with the atv tires

5. jwetovick

jwetovick Member

I would pay $100 for a set of 13in wheels in a heartbeat! Wish I could find some around here. Its just so much easier to find good tires in 13in instead of 12in. The ride should improve a little as well.

6. Jessf

Jessf Member

when going to a larger dia tire the RPMs drop at the same speed or the top speed goes up at the same RPM. As far as load on the engine, is going to a slightly larger tire putting load on the engine not unlike you might experience carrying a load/passenger with the stock tires?

I'm getting 155/80/13s for my truck so the dia will be 1" greater than stock and a little wider.

7. fupabox

I'm pretty sure the Japanese engineers took everything into consideration when they designed tire/rim sizes for these trucks...they prob. got it close to dead on considering that all the manufacturers used the same tire/wheel sizes relative to the truck's weight and power..deviating slightly from the manufacturers optimum size to suit a different need will always have some effect...really tall and wide tires will be great offroad but yes they will put greater strain on the rest of the drivetrain and rob power....if a tire is looked at as a type of lever (which it is) then a slightly taller tire will be a longer lever and put more stress on the drivetrain when braking and accelerating...but. as you say should be not much different than a stock tire(shorter lever) with more force (load in vehicle)applied to it...most Kei manufacturers offered an upgrade to 155 series tires...155/80/13 is around 7% over stock...not a huge difference...if you add the lower weight (rotating mass,and unsprung weight) of aluminum rims into the mix then you are good with a 155/80/13

8. Jessf

Jessf Member

I just did a little write up on my 155/80/13s. First ride home was pretty sweet. I could shed some additional weight by taking the bed sides off for the winter.

9. fupabox

I wouldn't worry about the bedsides....you should be happy with the 155/80s

10. jwetovick

jwetovick Member

Fupa, do you have anywhere you would recommend finding some aluminum 13in wheels? I've seen a few here and there but was curious if you had any in particular?

11. fupabox

Kijiji ,Craigslist...I have 2 sets of Honda Civic VX ultralightweight rims.. both sets found on Kijiji..$150 for 1 set $200 for the second set if I remember correctly..they are so light that even with the larger tires they are each 5 lbs lighter than the stock 12" rims/tires

12. jvanmol

jvanmol New Member

tires

I have 175-70-13 summer tires on aluminum Civic rims and 155-80-13 from a corolla with winter tires. Each set was $100 with pretty decent tires on kijiji.
    I found easier to find the tires I was looking for when I searched for vehicle models rather then a specific tire sized. Many people dont know what tires are on their cars...

175-70-13 are much better size for these trucks. the loss in torque is made up for with the comfort of the ride. steering is a little harder too.

13. jwetovick

jwetovick Member

According to my cross reference sheet I'm looking at the Honda CV wheels don't match? I need 114.3 bolt pattern for my 95 mitsu. Any suggestions?

14. akguy09

akguy09 Member

datsun rims fit mine but I had to cut the centers out of the front due to the large auto hubs

15. jvanmol

jvanmol New Member

4x110mm to 4x100mm

I got some 4x110mm to 4x100mm aluminum adapters from fupabox. They work great and no hub modification was required. Maybe you can find something like that.

16. jwetovick

jwetovick Member

I learned the exact same thing! Thought something else was wrong with my mini because I couldn't get it to go over 65kmh with the 23 atv tires. One day for sh*&s and giggles I put the stock tires and wheels on and sure enough....100kph. Stock is what I have on now and will not go back. By the way, you have one of the best camo jobs I have seen on a mini! Sweet truck man

17. Jessf

Jessf Member

over a week now with my 155/80/13r tires and still loving them.

18. installater

installater Active Member

New owner here, change my stock W&Ts out with 14x7 4x114.3 american racing wheels along
    with some Dunlop winter maxx 185/60r14 tires.
    rims weight 17.27lbs. load cap. 1580lbs (little overkill)
    Tires weight 17 lbs. load index 82 load range SL over 1100 lbs. speed rating 118mph (never will do it)
    Only problem I had was the rim being so thick 9/16'' I needed different lug nuts
    IMG_0259.jpg IMG_0257.jpg
    IMG_0260.jpg IMG_0276_1.jpg
    IMG_0269.jpg
    I don't do much off roading but our logging roads & side roads
    are bad enough
    Next project some type of fenders or flares been looking through different posts
    for Ideas
    Regards
    Brian

Attached Files: