1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

changing from 4wd to 2 wd woth honda acty

Discussion in 'Honda Acty' started by broshawn777, Jul 12, 2007.

1. broshawn777

broshawn777 New Member

I have a 1995 Honda Acty. Does anyone know if these can be selected to run in two wheel drive or not? I had heard that there was some sort of selector located somewhere underneath around the engine area. Can someon provide a definitive answer for me, and if so explain exactly where it is.

2. Cape Ape

Cape Ape Member

ACTY 2wd

In the area where the driveline meets the transmission there is a bolt (often has orange paint on it) that can be pulled. Once that is loosened there is a lockout that turns. Once turned it the bolt can be re-tightened to lock out the 4wd. It has been a while since I have done one and I apologize for not having clearer instructions. I think if you take a look you will see what I am talking about.

3. unclejemima

unclejemima Member

Interesting, i did not know this could be done! I'm assuming this is done for towing purposes. The acty is one of the few mini trucks that can not engage/disengage the 4wd from the cab. To bad there was not a way to have a cab mounted 4wd/2wd switch.
    -mark

4. MeZ

MeZ Member

when you say 2wd
    will this make it RWD???

SteveBW likes this.
  5. Ravk

Ravk Member

Yes, this disconnects the front drive shaft. You will still have diff drag though.

6. MeZ

MeZ Member

hmm this is awesome news
    Ravk could you explain a bit more on the diff drag?

7. Timetripper

Timetripper Moderator

What he means is that the front drive is still turning [half shafts to diff, driveshaft] it's just not hooked up internally when in 2wd mode.
    Also it's not a given that all Honda Acty's have this feature to be switched into 2wd
    from the posts on the forum here some do and some don't.
    The only way to tell is to crawl under and look for the bolt as described in post #2.

8. MeZ

MeZ Member

ahhhk cheers timetripper :)

9. getabitlit

getabitlit Member

1990-91, AWD can be disengaged

I was poking around my 90' Acty and saw the white tag on the chassis written in Japanese that describes how to disengage the front drive shaft. It looks simple as described above. The tag is located on the driver side in the wheel well or just in front of it, on the chassis.

Cheers,

10. Windmill

Windmill Member

If anyone has done this have a noticed an increase in mileage?

11. Ravk

Ravk Member

When in 2WD I get an average of 38 US mpg.
    In 4WD I get and average of 35 US mpg.
    2WD in winter still sucks though.

12. Windmill

Windmill Member

How hard is it to dis connect to 2wd?

13. Ravk

Ravk Member

On the drivers side where the transaxle ties in the front drive shaft there is a 10mm locking bolt that holds a 10mm selector bolt (10mm head with a shoulder the size of a quarter. 2 cut out notches lock this bolt in 2 or 4 WD)

Not all Actys have this selector.

14. Borg

Borg Member

Can someone post a photo of what to look for?

I'm assuming my truck doesn't have this selector... I can't find it at least.

1991 Acty SDX

15. Scottdunk

Scottdunk New Member

Here is the selector photo.JPG its the two bolts on top.

16. Borg

Borg Member

Oh Wow..

Running outside right now to check mine out.

17. Borg

Borg Member

Wow, I may need to look into the front diff... the truck doesn't shake at all anymore on the highway.

Used to shake a bit when going 85km/h and accelerating through 45-55km/h. Not anymore though.

18. Scottdunk

Scottdunk New Member

I haven't tried it on mine yet. I am still trying to work out cooling issues before I hit the highway!

19. Borg

Borg Member

I'll say this truck is pretty fun on gravel roads :) Much more spirited than when in 4WD if you so please Hah.

20. Scottdunk

Scottdunk New Member

Put my unit into 2wd yesterday. it is pretty fun to do burn outs with now. Had her up to 100 km/hr pretty scary in a strong side wind.

21. williemakeit

williemakeit New Member

would anyone be interested in a cable disengagement kit for the Honda ACTY HA4 for switching from 4x2 to 4x4 and back? My father will be driving this truck mostly and he needs a good way to make it streetable in 2x without climbing under the truck. I am a machinist by trade and have access to a plasma table and brake presses with a lot of scrap steel laying around. cables are not the issue with this but making room around the starter may require a new lever with a clocked keyed hole and a detent kit to lock it in. we will be looking at this over this weekend at go from there... What say you??

22. Jester3775

Jester3775 Member

Wow Willie, that sounds awesome. Seems very strange to me Honda did not offer this option. Makes me also wonder if there's more to it then meets the eye ?
    I would be very interested, please keep us updated !

Jester

23. williemakeit

williemakeit New Member

Thanks jester, we just traded around for this acty a few weeks ago and just got it running so now I want it to be easy for my father to use and this 4x issue really seems to bug him so I will build a solution for it if possible... I am currently looking at a PTO style cable that has a spring return lock so when pulled it stays but just pushing the lock will allow it to spring back and engage it but what do u all think as far as locking in for 2x or locking in for 4x?? My thought is have the cable pulled to lock in 2x and pushing the release to get 4x ...

I haven't been under the truck much so this weekend will be a chance to see how to make it happen, for anyone who has engaged and disengaged the 4x on there truck will it hold on its own or is there a factory detent? Any input would be great

24. Jester3775

Jester3775 Member

Willie, I personally like the pulled for 2x and pushed in for 4x, like you said. I have never played with mine but I thought I read somewhere on this forum that there was a bolt you took out ? to get into 2x.
    I think there are even pictures about this issue on here somewhere.........

25. Borg

Borg Member

Could just make it a reversible design...

I took a picture for reference.

[​IMG]

26. Jester3775

Jester3775 Member

Further explanation please :pop:
    Not sure what we are looking at and or what bolt is the one we play with ?
    Reversible ?

27. williemakeit

williemakeit New Member

Follow the drive shaft back to the trans axle along the top of the drive line. If u look in the pic above u can see the little lever just behind the drive flange, it has a small bolt out at the end of the lever that needs to be removed for this to work..

We have a flat pattern of what we think will work but in this we found that we may have to make a spacer to give us a little more room to fit a cable in this small space. With a starter and the bed so close to this lever it will be a struggle having a cable stout enough to make this happen. Just don't expect this to happen in a week or two as this is a project truck and there are two other issues in working on at this time and ball joints are first to do and in not paying for stock ones...

Hopefully this will work and we may sell a kit but it will take some time to make this a tested and proven setup. We will post up a few pics of progress.

28. Jester3775

Jester3775 Member

Sorry, still not following you. Maybe I will crawl under mine and see if it makes more sense.

29. YearoftheDragon

YearoftheDragon New Member

On mine it did not have the bolt(s) describe above, so I just removed the driveshaft completely and my ACTY runs amazing now. I did see a dent so that for sure is the culprit. So if your ACTY runs vibrates like crap 30-60mph ... Check the drive shaft!!

30. Borg

Borg Member

Oh wow, never even thought of that.