1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Change between '97/'98 Sambar?

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by thefuzz783, Jul 23, 2008.

1. thefuzz783

thefuzz783 Member

I've was looking at the new english service manual and noticed it only goes up to 1997. I have a 1998, was there a body change between those 2 years?

Thanks

2. Colin

Colin Member

Didn't they bump out the nose for more legroom? Or was that 1999?

3. jtpc

jtpc Member

It was 1999 that the body changed I believe. You are right Colin, they brought the nose out an extra foot, widened the body, and remodeled the interior as well. :) I think 99 was the first year they went all EFI. (if they had EFI before then it wasn't standard/base equipment)

But I know for a fact that 98 models that I've seen are the 'older' body style. However, I'm not saying that near the end of 98 they pushed out a few of the newer models.
    Kind of like 92 perhaps? With the circle and square lights falling in the same year?
    But I kind of doubt it seeing how it was a complete remodel.
    So I'd bet 97 and 98 has no changes.

~Josh

4. thefuzz783

thefuzz783 Member

Here is my 98, can you tell by looking at it if it is the "new" body style?

Attached Files:

• mt1.jpg
      mt1.jpg
      File size:
      21.5 KB
      Views:
    • mt2.jpg
      mt2.jpg
      File size:
      19.9 KB
      Views:
  5. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

That's the older style.

6. jtpc

jtpc Member

That's a good looking Subaru.
    Is that the one that was listed on eBay in california?

7. zbadboy

zbadboy Member

I am not familiar with the Subaru's but when you say bump out the nose for more leg room, are you saying increasing the length? I know these vehicles have to stay in the same dimensions in order to fall into the "kei" class.

An example is a 1998 and older Suzuki has the front wheel or axle about two feet back from the front. A 1999 and newer has the axle and wheel about one foot from the front. This allow for easier access to the cab instead of having to bring your feet over the pedals you bring your feet in behind the front wheel and behind the pedals. This also helps with more overall room inside the cab. I think this is what you are talking about when you say bump the cab out.

I believe all the manufacturers went to EFI in 1999.

What's interesting is I just recently received a 1999 Daihatsu with EFI. The front axle on it was still two feet back from the front. Does anyone know if they went to the newer design like the Suzuki's? Are the suzuki's the only ones that made that change?
    The newer design makes access to the cab allot easier regardless of your size.

Jeff

8. thefuzz783

thefuzz783 Member

Yep it was, the one about 2 weeks ago. I'm still waiting for the shipping company to pick it up though....The wait is killing me!!

9. Acerguy

I think that they modified the KEI rules for MY1999. That's when there were a lot of changes. As you mention, EFI became standard, for instance. The Subarus and Daihatsus continued with a "cab-forward" design adding extra length to the front, while Suzuki, Honda, and Mitsu went with moving the wheels forward. I suspect that crash standards were applied hence the newer trucks, in addition to more "crash space" also have airbags.

10. Colin

Colin Member

Yup. :)

[​IMG]
    '99+ Daihatsu

[​IMG]
    '99+ Honda

[​IMG]
    '99+ Mitsubishi

11. Colin

Colin Member

[​IMG]
    '99+ Subaru

[​IMG]
    '99+ Suzuki

The Sambar doesn't look redesigned at all... they just slapped a new front fascia on it and called it a '99. :rolleyes:

Colin

12. jtpc

jtpc Member

The sambar actually is different on 99. It is wider with larger interior.
    And yes, the nose sticks out an extra foot.

(Colin, love your photos--very good info)

Attached Files:

Xlr8me likes this.
  13. jtpc

jtpc Member

2 Sambars

Side of a 94 and side view of an 01.

Note the front nose.

Attached Files:

Xlr8me likes this.
  14. Colin

Colin Member

Well, I'll be damned. It is wider! I guess they decided to ever-so-slightly redesign the doors from the pre-'99 model... I see the gas filler is slightly different, but the trim line on the side of the cab is the same. :sly:

Colin

15. Acerguy

Yup. It got a nose job. Then they did another minor tweek by adding clear side indicators to the headlamps in 2002 (which I think look nifty). Then it went to the current headlamp style in 2005. And there seems to be two different grills in the 2005-2008 models but I can't tell a pattern for sure. One grill goes all the way across from lamp to lamp and the other doesn't.

Attached Files:

16. jtpc

jtpc Member

Yep, great photos Keith.
    And you are right that the latest model grill goes all the way across. I think they started that in 06 or 07, not sure.

They just updated the sambar website several days ago with better pictures.
    http://www.subaru.jp/sambar/truck/index.html

17. zbadboy

zbadboy Member

Ditto on the pics Colin. I still have to work on the loading picture deal.

Jeff

18. Acerguy

Mind you, my information is based on nothing more than gleaning hundreds of pictures of Sambars on the interwebs for the last year or so! :D I think you're right that the grill going all the way across is a 2006 and newer thing. It's just that I've got at least one picture that would seem to contradict that.

Oh. On a side note, there is a 2002 Sambar Reefer box on eBay right now!

I'll have to make an official "Field Guide to Subaru Sambars" when I get a little time. I think I have a pretty good collection of pictures from the early 360s to current.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2008
    jtpc likes this.
  19. Colin

Colin Member

Ultimate ice cream truck! The kids would swarm that thing (and possibly tip it over.) :eek:

20. jtpc

jtpc Member

:) Hey 'thefuzz'. I'm happy for you on your new subaru. I looked at that one, but couldn't justify shipping it here. Very nice looking truck!

And Acerguy, I think your field guide to the sambar would be great. Not much real info out there on the sambar without searching different sources.

21. thefuzz783

thefuzz783 Member

22. Colin

Colin Member

Nice buy! I paid $3950 for mine, and it's eight years older and undoubtedly more "worked" - it's been repainted (poorly), the box floor is all dented up, interior isn't exactly in showroom condition... in other words, it's good from afar, but far from good. :D

Colin

23. thefuzz783

thefuzz783 Member

The guy I bought it from imports them directly from Japan. He sells all of them for real cheap. Look up the seller syutsujin in Ebay, he has 2 trucks on there now for a buy it now price of 3,500 and 3,700.

A couple of weeks ago he had 2 on there with dump beds for 4,500! I couldn't find anything even close to those prices in SD....

24. Colin

Colin Member

That was about the going rate a year and a half ago, when I bought my truck. I think prices are going up.

25. Acerguy

I've been watching that seller for the last couple of months. You're right in that he sells 'em for much less. I'll be curious to see how your experience goes.

26. thefuzz783

thefuzz783 Member

It has been going VERY well so far. Excellent communication, very easy to deal with. English is a little broken, but easy to understand. He includes his phone number so you can call with any questions, and they are open 6 days a week.

If I could only get a f@#*&in shipper to pick it up!!!