1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Center Hub Hole Too Small?

Discussion in 'Tips and Tricks' started by Mini4WD, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Mini4WD

Mini4WD Member

I've come across a nice set of free 14" aluminum wheels with a 4x14.3 bolt pattern that will bolt on my Mitsubishi. The problem is that the wheels have too small of a center hub hole. I need at least a 3 1/2" center hub hole to clear the automatic locking hubs on the front. The center hub holes on these new wheels are only about 2 3/4". Anyone know the best way to enlarge the holes enough to slide over my hubs? I know I could take them to a machine shop and have them cut out on a cnc machine but nobody wants to touch them without an hour labor and setup charge for each wheel. I could buy a new set for that charge. I only need 2 of them enlarged because the back wheels fit fine.

2. Mighty Milt

Mighty Milt Active Member

if you don't have to make the hole very deep i would use a die grinder. but if it has to be deep, i would spend the money and have a machine shop do it. find a machine shop that doesn't have fancy CNC they will charge less. this can easily be done on an end mill.

3. Mini4WD

Mini4WD Member

The center section that I would need to take out is about 1 inch thick. My die grinder has a 4" disk. I believe I could eat away the aluminum easily enough with my die grinder but worried the disk may be too large to work in such a small hole.

4. Mighty Milt

Mighty Milt Active Member

for 1" depth i would probably take it to the machine shop. but if you were determined to try it yourself get a good aluminum bit for your die grinder, don't use a wheel. make sure it's a fluted style with an open pattern not the stone type, and spray it with a little bit of wd-40 and that will keep it from loading up with the aluminum.

5. gregw98

gregw98 Member

You could also try a local vocational school that has Machinist classes. Generally, the instructors like showing their students different tricks and abilities of being a machinist.

6. zbadboy

zbadboy Member

These rims are hub centric. That center boar needs to be "true". You do not want to find out it isn't going down the road at 100KPH.

7. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

As Milt said, if the rims were free, you like them, and they have the right setback, etc., just take 'em to a machine shop. It's not a hard job. :)

Then take pictures of them and show them off to us!

8. OldMachinist

OldMachinist Moderator Staff Member

They could be bored out on a lathe or mill. I have both in my shed and know a lot of guys do so If you know someone with a Bridgeport type mill or a big enough lathe see if they with do it for some refreshment money.