1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cat Coverter issues

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by jwetovick, Oct 20, 2011.

1. jwetovick

jwetovick Member

What are the symptoms of a bad or clogged cat converter and how common is this?? I havn't heard of it much on vehicles so was just curious. Its on a 95 mitsu 65,000km

2. TRAX and HORNS

TRAX and HORNS Well-Known Member

Lack of power. Boils down on how the person before you drove. Slow and low rpms loads up the cat. Also depends on fuel grade. New cars not common at all.
    Older cars such as the 90's model some what common.
    Seems like you have done everything and checked everything else.
    My two bits are on the cat.

3. jwetovick

jwetovick Member

but is it something that can just happen all the sudden? like one day running fine and the next day loss of power on the upper rpm??

4. TRAX and HORNS

TRAX and HORNS Well-Known Member

No, it shouldnt happen at once unless something came apart and blocked the exhaust passage. You would also see engine temp. running higher.
    How about low end power in 1st, 2nd 3rd is it there?

5. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

if you have access to a vacuum gauge you can easily check for a plugged exhaust...If you have a laser temp. sensor you can use that as well to test the cat

6. jwetovick

jwetovick Member

Low end power seems to be there. Its not until about half way thru the gear closer to the upper end that it just bogs down. It like winds up the rpms but it just doesn't have the power/speed. Clutch seems to be fine. This pretty much happened from one day to the next so not thinking its the cat but who knows?? Just acts like its getting robbed of air or fuel but it revs up just fine.

Seafoam??

Last edited: Oct 21, 2011
  7. jwetovick

jwetovick Member

I've done some looking on the forum about removing the cat converter but it seems to be info on brands other than mitsu. I see there is a sensor just past the converter that i assume is either a temp or o2 sensor. My local guy said he can remove the inside part of the cat and then weld back shut. Will I see any advantage to this and what about that sensor? thanks

8. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

the sensor is for cat. temperature...not an issue to remove the inner core of the cat. as long as you don't need an emissions test

9. jwetovick

jwetovick Member

What kind of difference will I notice generally?? Is it worth the $75 to have the guy remove it? I don't have any emissions tests so no issue there. Have just read some posts on here that some guys have noticed an increase in power. Worth it? Thanks