1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Carry Oil filter, what I settled on

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by 329049Carry, Oct 8, 2020.

1. 329049Carry

329049Carry New Member

Probably an old tired subject, but after reading allot of the websites and searching though all of the forum posts, I couldn't come to any conclusion on what was a good oil filter to use.
    After going through the official parts list, getting the Japanese PN's, cross referencing from 4 different sites, the Fram PH4967 was the only common cross. So I went for it. Had 0 issues, no leaks, spun on just like a oil filter should. (no wobbling either). It was interesting that the filter that came off my 93 Carry DD51T was not even in any of the official lists.. Obviously there are allot of different filters that will actually work satisfactorily.
    Just wanted to pass along what I learned.
    Carry Oil Filter.jpg Carry Oil Filter2.jpg

Limestone likes this.
  2. matt167

matt167 Active Member

PH 4967, or basically the oil filter for any 4cyl FWD Toyota up until they went cartridge. USA spec Suzuki's also use the same 4967

3. Limestone

Limestone Well-Known Member

Not too long ago, I posted on this forum, what I thought, was important, (oil filters), and did some comparing, as far as experience, at the Heavy Equipment shop! We did our own test's and comparisons, by cutting into filters, and examining them, as far as their contents, including, what the inner components were made up of, thickness of the can, and etc...Like many on here I'm big on maintenance, and preventative maintenance! Fram filters have always been a favorite of mine, as Napa also! A lot has to do with where a person is located and what's available! Being a World Wide Web, we have to consider that! The other variables are, how often are you servicing your vehicle? If a person is servicing his unit, on a regular basis, as suggested, it's quite possible that it can be more forgiving. Without trying to contradict myself, old school teachers taught us that oil changes are cheap, compared to the alternatives! We all know, or have heard crazy stories over the years, about people who have run or had a vehicle for yrs. and never changed the oil, or anything. The old saying I'd rather be lucky than good, comes to mind here! I like the saying but you won't find me in that category! Instead of paying $8.00-$15.00 for an oil filter, I would cross reference, and or seek to find an alternative oil filter, like many have done, including myself, for at least half the price! The other variables to consider, I think that is important, naturally, is climate temp., your in and how hard you run! Yeah the diff. viscosity oil is important, varying on locations, and conditions, but timing, and interval service is important also! Here it can get below zero in winter, and summer, it can go above 100 degrees F! When we run, our units outside plowing snow, the block is cold, and your creating heat,(friction), and then bringing it inside, as it's cooling down, moisture, and condensation, is a major part of oil, and filter break down! I tried to keep it short, and to the point, without writing a book! Good Luck!
    Limestone

4. Alix King

Alix King New Member

thanks for this - will report back.

5. t_g_farrell

t_g_farrell Active Member

Not big fan of frams but we can use that number to cross reference to a mobil1 or K&N, so good stuff.

6. t_g_farrell

7. t_g_farrell

Just looked at my van, the oil filter put on there by the dealer during prep is the Napa ProSelect 21394 which look identical the Wix 51384 in the above RA screen. F6A motor just to be clear.

8. Alix King

Alix King New Member

Can confirm, the Fram PH4967 worked nicely on a 93 D51T.

A "Toyo Element TO-9276" filter came off the truck.

9. David C

David C New Member

Hey everyone. First post so it may be wonky. I’m currently living in Japan. Bought a 97 Suzuki Carry out here! I’m in the process of making a big list of various parts, and what they use here. For example, they use 5w-30 oil, 3 liters with filter change. The oil filter the parts store provided is a DENSO SZ-01. They have a few options so I’ll get the other brands. Can be used for cross referencing! Cheers.