1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Carry Insurance Experience

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by 329049Carry, Nov 4, 2020.

1. 329049Carry

329049Carry New Member

Read through the forums, all the mini truck forums, to try and find insurance, liability only, just to be state legal. Who was insuring mini trucks.
    Here in WA, the truck is titled and I held off on registration until I found insurance, at least that was reasonable.
    Since my truck is a dumper, it is perfect for trips to the transfer station (garbage, 20 miles each way) as I am not in a hurry, huge plus is to just dump it.
    Insurance, had no problem getting quotes, Gieco, USAA and State Farm were quick with quotes, only State Farm was "reasonable" at about $240 for 6 months, state minimum with PIP. But I only would drive it on the roads for maybe 500 miles a year, seemed awfully spendy for 500 miles. ($1 per mile)
    Then I stumbled onto "Broad Form Insurance". This is where the driver, not the vehicle has the liability insurance. As many non-commercial vehicles as you want to drive. I have the mini, a 3/4T Dodge and 2 passenger cars, same rate, $45 mo. Sold.. State Farm will provide Comp and Collision only, if you have liability with another company. Saved me $$ a year and my mini is road legal... win win.
    The company, Dairyland Insurance Stevens Point, WI. My agent is here in WA.
    They did ask about what vehicles I would be driving and made it very clear, no commercial use period!!
    They also won't cover "special use" vehicles, like motorcycles, boats, 3 wheelers, UTV's, ATV's ect.. just street use personal. Now whether there is another company that will, I don't know.
    Just wanted to pass along what I found.
    Oh, you can add PIP and uninsured, but it costs twice as much (or more) per month.

Randal Sue Bee likes this.
  2. installater

installater Active Member

329049carry good morning, I am in WA. and use Hagerty as long as you have another veh. insured
    with someone else no problem with full coverage & veh. replacement cost I pay $208 a yr

3. Brett V

Brett V New Member

i have USAA and they were no problem. the VIN confused them but a copy of the title fixed that.

4. Brett V

Brett V New Member

P.S. - also in WA and USAA charges me $203/yr

5. Bernie Steadman

Bernie Steadman New Member

Brett, I am new to the minitruck world and have a question about insurance. I noticed you have USAA. I too am a USAA member and was informed today that will not insure my 1993 Carry. Do you still have USAA? I purchased my truck based upon the representation of the peerson who answered my call, that they would insure it. At the time I was just anticipating buying. Now that I've bought one and tried to insure it, they say they won't. Anything you can tell me will be helpful.

Thanks,
    Bernie Steadman
    Groton, CT

6. kip thompson

kip thompson Member

I have Erie insurance 100 a year full coverage

7. t_g_farrell

t_g_farrell Active Member

I have Erie as well and have the same coverage as the other cars for about $200.00 a year I think. My van is registered and licensed to drive on roads.

8. Bernie Steadman

Bernie Steadman New Member

Kip, Thank yuoou for the info. I checked their site and found out they do not insure in CT.

I got a good deal from Hagerty though.