1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Carry gas mileage

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by Utah, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Utah

Utah New Member

We just put a used f6a motor in an '01 carry and after a half a tank we're only getting 25 mpg. We are driving it on the road as a daily driver with narrow 13" radials. What kind of mileage are you guys getting? Is this normal? Thanks

2. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

I think the topic has been covered to death Utah. Mine ran about 37 (imp) but ran rich all the time and I'd almost say leaked fuel into the manifold. 10 or 20 year old constant velocity carbs don't fair too well without regular maintanance, and mixture is adjusted through "jetting"...for us though, "leakage"...

I'd be interested to hear from guys that have put a kit into their carbs. Or even those that have had a complete rebuild or aftermarket unit installed.

Comparitive before and after milage numbers on the same truck.
    Not performance, just the fuel economy change, if any.

3. Utah

Utah New Member

Our motor is fuel injected. Does that make any difference?

4. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

Same differance,
    Regular maintanance, rebuild or replace...

5. TRAX and HORNS

TRAX and HORNS Well-Known Member

EFI system should be getting better than that. I would try adding "Sea Foam" in the fuel tank. May take a can or two to clean things up a bit internal. Got a new air filter?
    Hows the truck run in general?

6. Utah

Utah New Member

The truck runs great. It's awesome. With the stock tires on it it will do 90km/hr but it feels like the motor is revved way high. Where it's a 2001 would it have a rev limiter? Can we rev it high enough to do damage to the motor? Also what is seafoam? Thanks for the help

7. TRAX and HORNS

TRAX and HORNS Well-Known Member

Sea Foam is a fuel additive. It does wonders on cleaning the fuel sysytem. Ive tried everything in the book and have found that sea foam works best. You can get it at most auto parts stores.
    Pull the plugs and see what they look like. Go to google and type in
    "NGK Reading Spark Plugs" and see how the plugs are burning.
    I would pull the air filter and see if it needs to be changed or blow it out.
    Depending on your driving habits I could see it getting 25mpg.
    That 40 to 50 mpg that I have seen advertise is someone blowing smoke up your skirt. Not saying there are a few guys getting in the 40 + on this site. But conditions have to be right.
    Honestly Ive never been over 80kms in a mini trucks. 99% of our trucks have 23/24x8x12 mud grips installed and after you get over the death wobble at about 45 / 50, thats spooky enough for me.
    I think if you did a poll most guys are getting 30 to 35 mpg +-.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  8. werase643

werase643 Member

you might have forgotten that these things are geared for getting a 660 37hp engine to feel like it has power. a geo metro is 1.0L and has a 3.9 final drive a suzuki carry has a .66L and about a 6.2-6.5 final drive.....geared for using all the little power it has.... that is 6.5 revs on the engine for one rev on the axle.....this is why they sound like you are wringing the living sh!t out of them when you try to go road speeds.

9. wedge17.6

wedge17.6 New Member

hello all.... I have a 96 with 14" wheels and running 45 to 55 mph on the highway. I get about 27 mpg,,, ""I think the 50 mpg U hear about is off a cliff out of gear.. "jmo" ...But this all type of driving hiway offroad idleing with the heater running, 3 to 4 trips a week to the deer lease which is about 60 plus miles round trip it takes 6.5 to 6.7 gallons of gas per week,,,,,, Can't do that on a 4 wheeler:p

10. Utah

Utah New Member

Well we put the seafoam in so we will see if that makes a difference. On a separate note, and I know I will get laughed at for this. We already have a 5 speed tranny. I know in old jeeps they used to have bolt on overdrive units. Do they make anything like that for these trucks? Or are there any options for putting taller gears in the rear end? Looking for more speed. Thanks. And I know we would have to change front gears as well. Thanks all

11. rpm

rpm Member

I have a '99 Carry with an EFI F6A, 13" street tires and it will run 72 top end. But it is straining to do it. You really don't want to go much faster than that in a minitruck. 55 - 60 is about as fast as I feel comfortable driving on the street.

Forget about the mythical 50mpg, too. It ain't gonna happen. 30 - 35mpg is about the average. Supercharged engines might get a bit better.

I haven't heard of anyone putting taller gears in a minitruck. I think you would be getting headaches Excedrin can't fix.

12. Ran440

Ran440 Member

Guess I won't bitch too much about getting 27-29 mpg putting around in 2nd and 3rd gear scrapping. This was figured paper and pencil over the last 6 fill-ups.

13. FiveOneOh

FiveOneOh Member

My little fuel calculator on my cell says I am getting about 3.6L per 100KM. That was about 900KM on a full tank in my Sambar.. I think that works out to about 65.337MPG. However that's keeping off HWY1 as much as possible.

That was after a new Cap, rotor, plugs and thermostat. Also a bunch of tweaking with the carb to get it to pass air care.

14. FiveOneOh

FiveOneOh Member

for whats its worth..

1990 Sambar 4x4 non SC, 14" Rota slipstreams, 195/60-14 snows, bike rack in the bed.