1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Carlisle Tru-Power or Power-Trac Tires?

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by ssmusicman, Apr 11, 2008.

1. ssmusicman

ssmusicman Member

Anyone running Carlisle Tru-Power or Power-Trac Tires? Thoughts?

SS

lug.jpg

power.jpg

Last edited: Apr 11, 2008
  2. volkswagen50

volkswagen50 Member

I've got a set of Sigma Super Lugs being mounted that I can't pickup till Monday. I'll let you know how they are. They are the same sort of tire. In 6-12 on stock wheels. If I can get them sat morning, I'll try them on sunday. I got them for 36 ea plus 10 shipping last fri from tiresavings.com, but they went up to 42 ea on monday.
    Greg

3. Samurai9

Samurai9 Member

I got four Nanco 6-12 Super Lug tires and had them installed on OEM rims. They are 23 inch diameter. They look like tractor tires and do a good job offroad. I do not believe that Nanco products have a great reputation but these tires seem to be decent values. No rubbing on my lifted, cut Hijet, but not as much traction and road clearance as with my 25 inch Rawhide Grips.

Sam

4. ssmusicman

ssmusicman Member

Another option?

Thanks for the input, interested in how they work for you. Anyone try this type of skid steer tire, little less agressive, see them on quite a few utility tractors these days?

srimguard.jpg

5. mjseiler

mjseiler New Member

I have 4 Carlisle All Trail 23x8x12 I ran for one day! Super great tires, real popular, put on many trucks as you may have seen! I am in bottom land and wet clay. They just weren't aggresive enough for what I do. Tires only. I am in the New Orleans area.

6. volkswagen50

volkswagen50 Member

Samarai9, those are the brand i got when I ordered the sigma's. They are 4ply and fairly thick. I can't wait to try them.
    Mjseiler, put those tires in the for sale section and they will be GONE fast.

7. Samurai9

Samurai9 Member

You have to watch out because a number of the popular ATV tires do not have enough carrying capacity for the mini trucks. Check the load ratings.

Samurai

8. ssmusicman

ssmusicman Member

Fluid fill?

Been thinking of even having them fluid filled.

Thoughts?
    SS

9. billy05

billy05 New Member

I had those on mine they made it ride rough and were loud but they got the job done

10. volkswagen50

volkswagen50 Member

I woudn't fluid fill unless I was only going slow speeds. It will be rougher, and slower to stop.

Sam, the sigma/nanco has a rating of 660lbs per tire, the carlisle power trac is 705 in the 23x8.5x12, the carlisle super lug is 395 in 6-12 and the carlisle AT489 that the truck came with are 400 odd pounds each. Plus I had to run them at 15pounds, twice what they were rated at just to use them. The All Trails in 8inch are 1125 pounds ea. Very good for us.

I've got my superlug nancos being grabbed for me this morning and should be able to test them tomorrow. I suspect billy05 will be quite correct, rough ride, good in mud.
    Greg

11. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

You could have them foam filled.

12. ssmusicman

ssmusicman Member

Was thinking fluid for the same reason you do a tractor, to be able to put more power to the ground.

SS

13. 4Wheelin

4Wheelin Member

Most ATV tires are 6 ply these days so that will be more than strong enough to support your mini. I have the Maxxis Bighorns which are 6 ply and they are very stout. I run 15 lbs in the front and ten in the rear and it makes for a good smooth ride. Here is a link to Maxxis' website for some specs.

http://www.maxxis.com/products/atv/product_detail.asp?id=263

Last edited: Apr 17, 2008
  14. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

I must add....I've got the Maxxis as well, I like them alot, and I can tell you they provide great traction and run very smooth at speeds > ~10mph, go slower and you can feel every lug.

-Greg

15. ssmusicman

ssmusicman Member

I'm really looking for a 23" tire that can take a load. I can see the ATV type tread tires really have the traction but can they take 1500lbs of mini plus 1000lbs of load, most can't.

SS

16. myhijet

myhijet Member

My uncle worked at a place that foamed their front tractor tires on smaller tractors. The ones that saw much asphalt destroyed the tires. Heat and lack of flexibility he said was the cause. The fluid is also extremely hard on things, made of calcium chloride like road salt is.

17. 4Wheelin

4Wheelin Member

Thats right. Especially on concrete or asphalt. If you keep it on grass or dirt, its not bad at all, nice and smooth. At 10 mph on pavement you do feel every lug, same as a mud grip on a full size 4x4 truck.

18. 4Wheelin

4Wheelin Member

Most any 6 ply tire is more than enough to support the mini loaded. I have had mine loaded plenty hauling hay and several hundred pound bags of feed with not a problem at all. Remember, each tire is carrying roughly only 1/4 of the load so dont worry about the loaded weight.

19. volkswagen50

volkswagen50 Member

SS, the carlisle all trail has a rating of over 1100 lbs ea. check out their website for load ratings on all their tires.

20. buyargo

buyargo New Member

21. ssmusicman

ssmusicman Member

Anyone running 10.50" wide tires on the back of their trucks? Want some good flotation but wondering if it's just too wide.

Thanks,
    SS

Last edited: May 1, 2008
  22. Samurai9

Samurai9 Member

I have eleven inch Rawhide Grips on the rear of my Hijet, eight inch on the front.

Sam

23. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

And they look awesome!!! :D

[​IMG]

24. Samurai9

Samurai9 Member

Thanks for the compliment, Keith. I think the wheels and tires look sharp, along with all the other "improvements" already on the truck when I got it. The tires are effective offroad. As I have explained too many times, I replaced the eleven inch front tires because they hit badly every time the steering wheel was turned and were being sliced and diced by the truck body. The eight inch tires hit once in a while but this is not too bad and I can keep the look and function of the truck. I tried street tires and 23 inch Nanco Super Lugs, but the 25 inch Goodyear Rawhdes worked the best on my steep hill.

Sam

25. matchstickman

matchstickman New Member

I believe the cargo load rating on these vehicles are 350kgs. I have read somewhere that when lifted and fitted with the larger tyres that reduces to about 250kgs. Is this right? Is the load rating based on the load ratings of the tyres or does the height of the lift have something to do with this as well?

26. matchstickman

matchstickman New Member

BTW nice looking truck Samurai9. Being an '89 model I figure it is a 550cc right? Can you tell me what sort of mileage do you get and does it have much power if you are carrying a bit of a load? Also, is there much room in that cab for us bigger folk? I don't have a mini-truck but am thinking of getting one and I reckon the Hijet is probably at the top of my list at the mo. Being in Aus it will have to be an '88 or earlier model. Any probs doing the mods on this era of the Hijets?

27. Samurai9

Samurai9 Member

Matchstickman,

Seller told me it was a 1995 but research showed it was 1993, 660 cc. Truck has plenty of power and seems to run well. I have not carried any heavy loads. I have no idea about mileage. The gas gauge doesn't work and I drive the truck very few miles. Several times a week I drive it on my half mile long property and maybe three or four miles on surrounding country roads. Gas mileage isn't as issue for me.

The cab has enough headroom but the seat is lightly padded and very vertical. There is little room for feet and legs. I find the driving position very uncomfortable but OK for my particular usage. I am average size and would guess that a big person might feel quite cramped.

I haven't done any modifications on the truck. The only change I have made was to put narrower tires on the front. It came to me with trailer hitch, brush guard, three inch lift, big wheels and tires. When I bought this rig on eBay, I had no idea that these trucks were commonly speed limited. Mine has no limiter and accelerates well through the four forward gears. I keep the truck in the country and am going to have a mechanic check it out as soon as I can get a trailer to haul it into town.

Sam

28. D'Animal

D'Animal Member

Has anybody tried the Trail Wolf tire from Carlisle?

29. myazel

myazel Member

I have not tried the trail wolf but I am running the new Titan 489 6 ply on my stock rims and like them fine. They are a heavier belted tire than the road tires were and since it will be used in the woods looked like a good tire.

30. how much doyou want for them?