1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Carlisle tires rubbing bad

Discussion in 'Honda Acty' started by jack483, Dec 28, 2007.

1. jack483

jack483 New Member

Hi Guys,

I just bought a 1996 Honda ACTY. The seller said it was lifted 2". I ordered some nice 12" rims with the 5"+2" offset. The wheels rub nasty bad when I turn the steering.

Previously, some other members here said I should be ok with the 23" x 8" X 12". Im wondering if this is actually lifted 2". I hate to cut on the truck if it wasnt even lifted.

Can anyone tell from the pictures if this has been lifted?
    Anyone have any ideas on how to remedy?

Jack

Attached Files:

2. tbp

tbp New Member

it has been lifted. that is a spacer on top of the spring. as far as a remedy, you will have to lift it more, cut the fenders, or possibly try a wheel with a different offset further to the inside. the easiest would be trimming.

3. jack483

jack483 New Member

I bought 5+2 inch offset wheels. I spoke to a wheel guy at MTA and he said that they have a 2+5 offset that they use just on mini trucks. Ever heard of that? I thought they might rub the inside

4. De-icer

De-icer Member

maybe we should compile a list of wheels, sizes, offsets, and vehicles that work without any clearance issues and have it here on the site like we do for dealers nationwide? With the number of people and experience on here we could probably create a pretty complete list and stop a lot of this :frustration:

5. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

That's a great idea. I can set up a thread in the reference section. I would suggest making it a sticky, locked thread similar to the one we have for the list of dealers. That way it won't get cluttered up with lots and lots of individual posts. hmmm... I could have a section for each brand and folks could PM me with what they have found out works (type of truck, type of wheel with width and offset, how much lift if any, trimming required or not, type of tire... Am I missing anything?

I know that Crossroads has a nice list on their site too, BTW.

6. De-icer

De-icer Member

I think you got it, If we can all post what we find works, especially with regards to the offsets on different trucks it will be a very valuable reference.

7. minitruck.ca

minitruck.ca Member

You need 2+5 and a 1" spacer on the front to stop the tire from rubbing on the strut. If the strut top is the only thing altered on your suspension your camber angle will be off and you will also get premiture axle CV joint wear and possible front diff problems. You might want to look into having the front cross member dropped the same amount as the struts and readjust the tie rods for correct toe in. This will correct the caster and premiture wear. I have not seen a lift done properly yet

8. JRinTX

JRinTX Moderator

Minitruck,

Take a look at this post. Greg has some really good pics of his lift and Swoop has a good description of how he has lifted his mini truck. Slowly but surely I think we are figuring out the correct way to lift these trucks! :D

http://www.minitrucktalk.com/showthread.php?t=1021

Do you have pics or info on how you built your lift? It is nice to get new ideas and learn from other folk's experiences. Sometimes it helps us avoid...:frustration:!!!!

9. JRinTX

JRinTX Moderator

Jack,

I think your biggest problem is the offset on your wheels. I tried the exact same thing on a Suzuki and a Daihatsu. The 5+2 wheels (2" to the inside, 5" to the outside) cause serious problems on the front because of the larger turning radius of the wheels due to the offset. You will need wheels with more offset to the inside. I am using a set of Douglas wheels that have 4" to the inside and 3" to the outside on my Suzuki. Check http://www.recreationtires.com, they have a good selection of wheels.

I hope this helps,

10. ddimports

ddimports Member

I want to put a set of off road tires on my carry what type of douglas wheels did you put on, jrintx?

11. JRinTX

JRinTX Moderator

12. ddimports

ddimports Member

your truck is a 4 x 115 ?
    mine is a 4 x 110

13. JRinTX

JRinTX Moderator

Yes, my 1992 Suzuki is 4 x 115mm bolt pattern. I have found that Suzuki's prior to 1995 are 115mm and newer ones are 4 x 100mm. I do not know the exact date of the change and have heard that some years may have used both.
    Are you sure that your Suzuki is 4 x 110MM?

14. ddimports

ddimports Member

Sorry 4 x 100

15. JRinTX

JRinTX Moderator

Closest thing they have is 4 x 4" bolt pattern. But I would not use them, they will runout and the cone seated lug holes will not seat correctly. You need to find actual 4 x 100mm wheels. Ask questions...there are several people out there that will sell you 4 x 4" wheels claiming that are the correct wheel for a 4 x 100mm bolt pattern. But they will not work correctly.

16. xroadsimport

xroadsimport Member

The reason it won't fit is because your wheels are 2+5. Meaning that the 2 is on the inside space. That means that the wheels put your tires way to far away from the center of the truck. What that does is increase your swing radius when turning. To get them to work you would have to lift it higher and cut away lots of truck. It is a nice looking truck so both options would not be good.

I would sell you that exact wheel that I have in my bone yard for cheap. What you need is a 5+2. ITP doesn't make one in that hole pattern. Sorry to tell you that wheel won't work well.

Cory

17. GR.mike

GR.mike Member

We have wheels that are made for these trucks only....not a 4 wheeler wheel. They will be ready 2nd week of February and will be on our website then. You can order them now though to get on the list for the first shipment. Just go to our website and fill out a parts request and we can call you back with the details and price.

18. Texas Mini Trucks

Texas Mini Trucks New Member

Jack, what was the LUG PATTERN for the wheels for the Honda? 4x100??? 4x115???

Wes

19. Archer-Andy

Archer-Andy Member

4x100mm

1990-2003 Honda's use a 4x100mm as do many of the newer model mini's.

20. JTapscott

JTapscott New Member

I have 2000 honda that grinds going in to 3rd gear what mite the problem be??

21. xroadsimport

xroadsimport Member

It is because you have a 2+5 Wheel. You need a 5+2 Wheel.

22. jack483

jack483 New Member

Are you saying to take out the 2" spacer and replace it with a 1" spacer?

23. GR.mike

GR.mike Member

we have 4 x 100mm that we use all the time. If your interested we still do some trimming on certain models though