1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cargo Box

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by Stormin, Oct 8, 2011.

1. Stormin

Stormin Member

I am looking for either a cargo box or info on building a cargo box for my Subaru. I am thinking of a box that would take up the entire cargo area and be the same height as the roof of the cab. With an access door at the rear and possibly access doors on the side above the box sides. Anyone have any info or pictures? I have thought of finding an enclosed trailer that has damage and using it for parts to build my own box. Any help would be appreciated.

2. luluyug

luluyug Member

good idea!

look at my box, i went with plain rear lift gate and retty happy of it. the sides follow the curve f the truck, the top is flat and slightly lower than the top. only problem you loose a lot of cargo capacity but no performance decrese on highway. i did not go with the side access panels (i am not a carpenter...) latest ad on is the flip up bed in the back to sleep in it. i tried the camp bed but it did not serve me well.

Attached Files:

3. Stormin

Stormin Member

Looks like a well thought out cover. I was thinking of following the curve of the cab as well. Depending on what I find I might do that, definitely looks good. I am thinking of making a box though so that I can remove it if I want to haul something bigger. Looking at what you did gave me the idea of even removing the stock box sides so that the box I build could be wider.

4. luluyug

luluyug Member

good plan

going wider is ok if you stay on relatively slow roads. if you plan on highway speeds, follow the curve of the cab. mine is removable (only weights 75 pounds) if you plan to remove the sides of the bed, it makes a good platform but could need 2 persons to remove it. to have the correct form i took a big piece of 1/8 inch luan and stick it behind the cab with the rollbar removed. a good sharpy and voila! you have the profile of the truck. only tricky part was to fit the front of the box to match the rear of cab. i will tack pics tomorow since the box is on my db51/trailer since i decided to do a little winter prep on the truck. have fun with your plans!!!:pop:

5. Stuff99

Stuff99 Moderator Staff Member

lol yup. airflow ftw!

6. Stormin

Stormin Member

I finally figured out what I want and have almost finished it. Will post pictures of what it looks like now. Just need to put the roof on and make a rear door for it. It will end up looking the same as an enclosed trailer. I am using all the same materials. I welded together the frame from 1" X 1" square tubing. And screwed the painted aluminum skin onto that. Then lined the inside with 1/4" plywood. I am making it removable so that I can still use the truck to haul other stuff if I want to. I kept the size very close to the cab size to reduce wind resistance. And it is not bad out on the highway.

Attached Files:

7. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

Depends on what you want to haul in it.
    I use a car-top, hauler (fiberglass-shell), in the bed of my truck, to haul the items that I don't want to get...wet; in the rain, or contaminated by dust, gravel roads-etc.
    Don't need the mounting bars, or the like. Just drop it in the box, and fill it up with what I need to head out to the camp. Works out perfect for me. I guess that I could sleep in it if I had to.

8. zardoz

zardoz Member

lol... funny I have one as well

spaner, I just got a car topper myself for just this purpose! A friend found one in a "bulk pickup" on a garbage collection and thought I might want it. It seems the po threw it out because it was covered in pigeon crap lol I only wish it had the keys for the latches. Mine is only a small one tho... so sleeping in it is out of the quesion.

z

9. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

You're going to wonder how you ever got along without it.
    Mine's square and covers about half the box, about 5" above the rails.
    Seriously looked at bolting it to the bed, but after a few runs out to the camp; not needed, at all. I still hurk-strap it down though. I fit the full size cooler in there(hight).
    You can change-out the locks with CanTire parts, $5 each.

10. Meesho

Meesho Member

Hello, sweet truck and nice box setup... are you from winkler???

11. Stormin

Stormin Member

Yes I am from Winkler. Finally have the box completed and works very well. Highway driving is about the same as without the box but now crosswinds are a bigger deal. The pictures are of the completed box, one piece checkerplate roof makes it waterproof and allows me to carry stuff on top of the box. I used RV doors for the side access and made a door for the back that is similar to an enclosed trailer door. Total cost af all the parts was around $800.00 but is definitely worth every penny!

Attached Files:

12. downhere

downhere Member

Awesome job on the canopy! My only problem is that it looks a little to organized inside.:D Anyways it looks like a really professional job.

13. Meesho

Meesho Member

Buddy that is amazing and very professional looking. I would have made it about 6 inches higher though???

As for the truck itself, make sure your cooling system is working well. Those automatics on the highway rev pretty high.

14. Stormin

Stormin Member

Thanks for the compliments. It works great. I did not make it taller because I still want to go 100 kmh on the highway! 14" wheels help keep the rpms lower on the highway, but the motor has to work harder. Temp. Guage stays at the 1/2 way mark. Will have to wait and see how it works in summer. Rides a lot better with some weight on the back as well.

15. downhere

downhere Member

What do you think it weighs? It's amazing to see how practical these trucks are!

16. Stormin

Stormin Member

I would guess around 2 hundred pounds. I tried to keep it as light as possible.

17. Stuff99

Stuff99 Moderator Staff Member

almost makes me wonder if a cargo thing from a tiny uhaul trailer would fit on a mini..

18. Stormin

Stormin Member

I thought of that as well but did not persue. The total cost for building the box was 800.00 and I could not find anything prebuilt for less than that. Could not even find anything damaged that I could repair!

19. Neil AFCCo.

Neil AFCCo. New Member

I would like one please :). Been looking everywhere for something exactly like this... though I'd have the side door on the drivers side.

Perfect...

Any idea where the sell these or mini truck canopies/shells?

20. woodhe1

woodhe1 Member

There is one for sale in WI Rapids WI ... an insulated box. http://cars.mitula.us/detalle/952/96413442652465469/75/30/mini-truck

Last edited: Sep 16, 2012
  21. Neil AFCCo.

Neil AFCCo. New Member

22. chaseoe

chaseoe Member

I have that guys phone number I got a parts mini truck from him and I think he still has that box.let me know if you want it

23. Neil AFCCo.

Neil AFCCo. New Member

It's somewhat perfect - but I'm located on Vancouver Island in Victoria, B.C. Canada. :(

Thank you for the offer!

24. HardlyWarcane

HardlyWarcane New Member

what did you get the 14" rims off of?

25. Stormin

Stormin Member

26. HardlyWarcane

HardlyWarcane New Member

It worked well thx Stormim