1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cargo Bed Seat

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by jimhammer1, Feb 19, 2008.

1. jimhammer1

jimhammer1 Member

Within the past month I saw some threads here on seats for the cargo bed. I've tried the "search" function here and can't find them. Some were suggesting catalog purchases and one was from a dealer who was making them for the mini. Anyone recommend where to look? Thank you, Jim.

2. jimhammer1

jimhammer1 Member

Found it under "rumble seat".

3. I think gateway sells them

4. JRinTX

JRinTX Moderator

I bought a seat from Northern tools. It is a bench seat that is about 36" wide. But, it does not have legs or a frame to mount in the bed. I built mounting brackets to attach into the bed of my truck.

I think the seat was about $150.00. It is very well built.

5. JRinTX

JRinTX Moderator

6. jimhammer1

jimhammer1 Member

Thanks James. With the folding back, my plan is to mount it on top of a "crews box" I used in nam while a member of a CH46 crew. That should allow good storage as well as a comfortable seat. I think I'll also order the $15.00 74" static seat belt, as well.
    Jim

7. JRinTX

JRinTX Moderator

What is a "crews box"?

8. jimhammer1

jimhammer1 Member

It is a oversized metal footlocker. Very strong and can also be colapsed. It is for the helocopter crew to store gear. My second tour in nam I was a gunner. Not the safest job I ever had, but full of excitement interrupted by periods of terror. What I called 'crashes' the USMC called 'hard landings'.

9. zbadboy

zbadboy Member

Semper Fi!

10. miniMOG

miniMOG Member

I like to use a rear CJ Jeep seat. New ones are under $150 and easily available. They have 2 bolt down brackets in the front, and a bolt down bracket in the rear that Has a latch that is handy when you need to pull the enginge cover in the bed. Undo the latch, and it hinges up out of the way. I mount them facing backwards against the cab to one side- that leaves room for an ice chest or whatever on one side.

11. Dan

Dan Member

This is reminding me of the old Subaru "Brat" it had two seats in the tiny bed and there were handlebars for the passengers to hang on to.

12. I have them on Ebay with a Free Shipping sale going on right now. Type in mini truck rumble seat and it should come up. They sell for $219.00 with no shipping charge.

13. Dan

Dan Member

they were called jump seats in the subaru. I'll bet that theres a group of enthusiasts out there somewhere buying selling and trading parts for those odd little trucks too. hey would that make those the predecessor to these japanese 4x4 mini's...haha

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 20, 2008
  14. gbrad

gbrad Member

Cabellas also sells a seat that is collapsible and removable via quick clips. I've used it and it works well.

gbrad

15. Cumorglas

Cumorglas New Member

This is a great idea. i have also used back seats out of a samurai. they tend to have seat belts built into the seat. Makes it easier to keep passengers in for the rough stuff. mounting them is not as easy as with the cj seat but well within the range of anyone who can bend and weld.

16. Another option would be some old bus seats. They are typically pretty cheap, but would require some fabrication to mount the framework in the bed.

17. draggbody

draggbody Member

i am putting a truck together w/ some of those hard plastic "dune buggy" seats... they will sit offset to one side, backs against the cab and still allow enough room for a side mount tool box.... the elements wont hurt them regardless how long they get wet or muddy....

18. Is this what you are looking for. You just remove a couple pins and it comes right out. I can sell you one if you like. They also come in camo.

[​IMG]