1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

carb diagnosis help!

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by WendyM, Dec 14, 2019.

1. WendyM

WendyM Member

95, DD51T... So here are the symptoms: only when its really cold like -20. Truck starts in heated garage. Then I drive till engine is warm (30 km ish)...go in shop for 15 min so engine is still warm. When I try to start (not touching gas peddle) it is a no start. Pump gas peddle 3 or 4 times and no start or else a cough and die. Repeat 3 or 4 times and then it starts, runs rough and then runs normal and away I go. Carb has been adjusted per instructions here and runs fine except for really cold temps. Choke plate appears to be working...though I have not taken apart in parking lot, lol. Any ideas would be appreciated :)

2. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

High idle set right?

3. WendyM

WendyM Member

yep. But I noticed today that the "click, click, click" did not click when I turned the key...worked 2 days ago. I'm not real confident on how the system works...relay somewhere that talks to the fuel pump? or some gizmo on the carb??? Any hints on how

4. WendyM

WendyM Member

So I cleaned contacts on relay and it seems to be working now...have to go for a drive and see if the starting when warm prob is still there.

5. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

Wendy, not knowing your back ground with carbs: there are generally two idle screws, some form of a choke preload adjustment, and the idle mixture screw, all of which will effect starting and running. And depending on how the choke And carb are set up, they can be easier and harder to get at and adjust.

GR Imports has carb page which shows most of the parts of the various carbs: https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/d494d1_91ad485ec9aa4f7ab3e94d24a1e61870.pdf

6. WendyM

WendyM Member

I have replaced all vac hoses (correctly), replaced fuel filter, canister is free flowing, new air filter that fits, choke flat completely closed and moves unrestrictedly, coolant flows through thermostatic piece and it is operating correctly. Choke idle rpm is around 2000, high idle 1500 and base at about 650. Accessory idle kicks in when things turned on and lowers as things shut off. After initial start choke flap opens to 80 percent and then opens more as engine warms... ONLY in the winter do I have this problem...runs great rest of year. It acts like it is starved for fuel-once but once I get it started it runs good (till I try to start it again after it has sat for 20 min or so. -10/15 c. seems to be the temp that it starts acting up. I haven't taken carb off cause: 1. its my only ride and 2. if it runs good all the other times then the carb is working good, right?? Just call me confused :(