1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Canadian Government is Considering Changing the 15 Year Rule!!

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by Northern Tire and Auto, Nov 23, 2008.

1. The Import Register Vehicle Program is considering changing the 15 year exemption rule to 25 years. This would effectively prevent the importation of Japanese mini trucks. You wouldn't get much of a truck over 25 years of age. If your concerned about this new legislation voice your concern directly to the IRV program using this link http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/importation/contact-us.htm. Everyone in Canada who enjoys these little truck please write you letters. Be polite and intelligent in your communications.

2. Subaru

Subaru Member

Is this the same attempt that they have been trying for several years now?Or is this something new in the works?

3. I was not aware of previous attempts. When I registered my trucks the Ontario government had informed me that something was going to be done to deal with the importation of the mini trucks. Lets not take this lightly and let your voice be heard.

4. Rural

Rural Member

That was the same web page the I brought up a couple weeks ago. At that time, Minibrutes informed me that the move to change the 15-year to 25-year was dead in the water.

Having said that, a flow of comments from people opposed to a 25-year rule (and even the 15-year rule) can't hurt.

5. Timetripper

Timetripper Moderator

I don't think that info is anything new.

The governemtn has been collecting info since '07 but it's old news really

Nothing has changed since your post here ---->>>> http://www.minitrucktalk.com/showthread.php?t=2652

The quote I referenced there still stands

Also see this thread here ----- >>>>> http://www.ivoac.ca/pn/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=2097

The members over at IVOC really have their ear to the ground as far as what's happening in Canada as far as Importation goes.

They have lots of experienced members from all walks of life and I don't even hear a murmur of anything going on different as far as Importing JDM's - nothing new to report

6. I sure hope this old news. I recently had a call from canadianminitrucks.ca and he had a problem registering one day. He called and asked if I had any problems with registration. I went down and registered two trucks and never had a problem. Canadianminitucks.ca must have resolved the problem, he never contacted me about it after. I would hate to see this legislation sneak under our noses so lets get everyone to fill out the form. I would hate to see our country do as the US did.

7. twj332

twj332 Member

I feel any Canadian dealer or owner should write to object to any change to current legislation.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/importation/contact-us.htm

I just did and asked for notification of any proposed changes. Most recently (2weeks) I registered my 1991 Hijet and had no problems.

Thank you all for your comments and help.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2008
  8. d rock

d rock Member

you boys don't want to get me started on the headache i had getting my first Hilux Surf registered back in 2005 in Dryden. Because I didn't have an Ontario registration card signed by the previous owner they kept trying to tell me they didn't know if it was stolen or not. this was despite having the invoice, deregistration certificate from Japan, and all my importation paperwork from Customs Canada! took me a month of phone calls and faxes and getting the ombudsman from Ontario involved to finally get it all worked out! this with the vehicle sitting in my driveway the whole time.
    and yeah, for the time being at least is seems the dogs are off the backs of those importing 15 year old vehicles. now the biggest issue is the value of the yen.

9. Timetripper

Timetripper Moderator

I agree 100%