1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can A Suzuki Carry be FLAT TOWED

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by nolagtime, Nov 23, 2009.

1. nolagtime

nolagtime New Member

Have an opportunity to buy one cheap, but it is 1500+ miles from home. Rather than trailer it, wondering if I get there if I can mount some tabs and use a tow-bar to tow it home. It is a 1990 with 4wd hi/lo and the manual style hubs. Hoping it can be put in neutral, the hubs in neutral, and towed. Any advise?

2. woodhe1

woodhe1 Member

towing

get a long bed pickup and load it in the box!
    dan

3. TRAX and HORNS

TRAX and HORNS Well-Known Member

You got it. Put everything in neutral, unlock manuals up front, hook it up and hammer down. The only problem I see is hooking up a tow bar. Not much to hook to. Come to think about it they aint nothing to hook up to. You could rent one of those little front wheel U Haul dollys. Ive used them before on bigger vehicles and they work great.

4. nolagtime

nolagtime New Member

they don't have a "transfer case" per-se do they? From what I can remember in my last 92 Carry - it had the 4 speed manual, and a 2hi, 4hi, an 4lo setting with the 2nd lever - but no "N"

as long as the main gearbox is in neutral, would it be alright to tow it, or for a couple hundred bucks, I may just rent a u-haul trailer and get all 4 off the ground, as it has the Carlisle all trails, and would hate to burn them off on the blacktop.

5. Stuff99

Stuff99 Moderator Staff Member

ya, long box truck or just rent a u-haul trailer. they are decent if you rent them and drop off at same location. did that for trailering a van to regina for propane work.

6. MiniBrutes

MiniBrutes Member

The 4 speed suzuki's have a Neutral in the transfer case. The 5 speeds do not.

The N is between 4 hi and 4 low.

7. MN_Minitrucker

MN_Minitrucker New Member

The other option is to ship. I just bought my truck over the internet this fall and had it shiped from southern IL to Minneapolis for $250 on a trailer. I received it 24hours after I sealed the deal with the shipper and paid at time of delivery. I bid this out using uship.com, and I HIGHLY recommend this transportation brokering site. I works like ebay but for people wanting transportation services. You post your requirements and as much detail on the item to be shipped, and you'll get responses back in hours if not minutes. Bids vary widely, so take the time to talk people who send you bids to know if they are insured and bonded. Make sure you read the customer feedback for each shipper, these provide insight and warnings.

Acerguy likes this.
  8. Mark/Muskoka

Mark/Muskoka New Member

If you have the truck in neutral the shafts will still turn. I just towed my just purchased 91 500 miles with it idling along behind me. Home now with everything in good shape.

9. KCCats

KCCats Active Member

Just uswe a 5 x 10 trailer its no biggie!

10. harley rose

harley rose Member

I would assume he could have pushed it home by now :) the thread is 8 Y/O LOL