1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Camber Bolt adjustment kit

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by o8k, Feb 1, 2010.

1. o8k

o8k Member

For lifted Mini trucks:

Has anyone ever tried one of these camber bolt adjustment kits?
    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SPS-81240

My suzuki Carry measures 10mm for the strut to wheel hub attachemnts, that crossed w/ the ez cam part 81240....

they show max of +/- 1.75 degree adjustment, wonder if thats enough to help.

It looks like an undersized and/or Lobe'ed bolt that you can wiggle around and tweek the camber a bit.

Thoughts?
    o8k

2. MichTrucks

MichTrucks Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

They sure are a cleaner design that the plates I designed and sell. Mine are for the newer Suzuki 1999 to current, as our lift kit has that covered in the older trucks. Our Lift kits have the Camber set and with the ability to tweak it a bit more as desired. If you try them let us know how they work out.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2010
  3. o8k

o8k Member

Ill holler back once i get a set and see if it helps enough. My concern is that they wont be enough tweek. 1.75 degrees doesnt seem like much and my shop level isnt really all that specific about how much a full bubble off plumb really is in degrees :D

4. Army86

Army86 New Member

This may not be the preffered method, but I took the strut off and carefully honed out little by little until I got the camber I was looking for.

5. slimbad

slimbad Member

6. o8k

o8k Member

Well. I oops'ed a little... orderd 10mm bolts and measured wrong, Strut bolts on my Suzuiki are 12mm. But as is turns out, the cam on the bolt is the 10mm the bolt was about 8mm. So i beefed up the lobe on the cam w/ my welder and made it 12mm. By the "eyeball" method off my shop level, i would say its about 2 degrees or so out still (spec allows about 1.5, see above thread). Seemed close enough for my appliation so im calling it good.

So i would say this kit is worth the buy at about 23bucks a set. But get the 12mm kit.

If you dont like spending money, (this was my backup plan) buy a 5/16" grade 8 bolt and weld a lobe on it yourself. little more sloppy but do-able.

I would NOT reccomend doubling up on these bolts to get more camber adjustment. the bottom bolt is definitly needed for structural purposes and shrinking both bolts would not be wise.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2010
  7. project_x

project_x Member

o8k,
    what is the correct part number for 12mm?

Cheers,
    Rob

8. o8k

o8k Member

81250 12mm Ez Cam Strut Bolts
    That should get you there. There are lots of various companies out there that make somthing similar (results may vary). I got mine at summit racing. you can also just search for "Wheel Alignment Kits" and hunt for the 12mm option.

I got the 81240 (10mm) and modified it. So i havent tried the 81250. But from the looks of the way it all works, the 81250 would be easier, stronger, and provide the same amount of adjustment.

Side note:
    The adjustment seems to be limited to the fact that you are pushing the hub assy towards the strut tube (rather than away). there is finite space in there to work with. Suppose one could mount the device to the lower bolt vs the upper bolt and thus the adjustment would be pushing the hub away from the strut tube. i didnt fiddle w/ it that much.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2010
  9. o8k

o8k Member

Another thought (more just guessing)I wish i knew "exactly" what works, but this is all trial and error stufff:

Kit 81240 (for 10mm bolts)
    comes w/ 8mm bolt and 10mm cam lobe
    allows 2mm +/- of adjustment (10mm-8mm = 2mm)

Kit 81250 (for 12mm bolts)
    comes w/ 10mm bolt and 12mm cam lobe
    allows 2mm +/- of adjustment

Hypothesis:
    My mod to 81240 (for 10mm bolts)
    comes with 8mm bolt and 10mm cam lobe (added 2mm to the cam lobe)
    so this now allows 4mm +/- of adjustment?????? vs 2mm?

BUT... what is the total distance of the hub assy to the strut tube? 2mm? 4mm? 5mm? Perhaps my "modded" 4mm +/- provided more than the std kit? IF AND ONLY IF the distance to the strut tube was more than 2mm in the first place....

The "hole" in the hub assy is 12mm. If you get the "for 12mm bolts" in order to "go bigger" rather than add to the cam (you cant b/c there is no more room in the hole) you will have to "notch" the 10mm bolt if you want more than 2mm. and If the distance you have to work w/ from hub to strut tube isnt greater than 2mm your stuck. Unless you use the lower bolt hole on the hub and push "away".

Clear as mud?????