1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cam seal replacement

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by Ran440, Nov 22, 2016.

1. Ran440

Ran440 Member

Did some searching and couldn't find info on replacing a cam seal. I've had the leak for a while. I decided to track down the leak so I pulled the upper timing belt cover. Found the leak and a badly checked timing belt. Needless to say I haven't driven the truck since. Ordered the belt and seal today from G&R Imports, but still not sure about the installation of the cam seal. I have a manual, but it does not cover replacing the seal. Can anyone give me some tips or advice.
    This is for a 1995 Suzuki Carry
    Thanks,
    Randy

2. Jim Nelson

Jim Nelson Active Member

There is a "sticky" at the head of the Suzuki forum where Greg gave a pretty detailed report of his tune up, timing belt change, and seal replacement.

3. Ran440

Ran440 Member

Thanks Jim. Greg took some fantastic pics. He didn't go as far as replacing the cam seal, but it looks like it should be the same procedure as the crank seal. Parts should be here any day.
    I'll post an update.

4. Ran440

Ran440 Member

Started the cam seal project today. Hit a stumbling block with the crank bolt. Broke a universal joint using the impact wrench. ( not a straight shot on my truck ) So I applied a little heat to get things moving, picked up a new universal and came right off. Found that I pushed the belt way too far.
    timing belt 004.JPG timing belt 014.JPG
    Back side was checked bad and the tooth side was actually missing a whole tooth. Anywho once I got everything out of the way the cam seal cam right out using a very small screw driver. Just tapped the new seal in with a hammer using the old seal as a buffer. Will be picking up a new o-ring for the dipstick tube and a new alt. belt tomorrow and hopefully wrap this up.

5. Jim Nelson

Jim Nelson Active Member

That belt was definitely due, sounds like the job is coming right along.

6. fmartin_gila

fmartin_gila Well-Known Member

Looks like a couple other teeth were ready to let go too, caught it in the nick of time. Much better to just do the belt & seals than what would have ensued if those other teeth had left.

Fred

7. Ran440

Ran440 Member

You got that right Fred. Wrapped it up today. All went well. Sure is nice to start it up and not leave a puddle of oil on the driveway. For the dipstick tube o-ring , being metric, I had to double up the original one with a 1/2 X 3/8 X 1/16. Seems to be doing Ok.
    So glad I caught this when I did. Couldn't afford to be without this truck.
    It brings in a lot of extra business.
    Thanks again Jim for directing me to Gregs sticky
    Happy Happy Happy!