1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

California registration

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by R.E101, Dec 9, 2012.

1. R.E101

R.E101 Member

Hello guys ive been a member for a awhile and had my truck for about 3 years . I have never registered my truck as I just use it on my property . im going to take the truck and do some hunting and the truck needs to be registered i have know idea were to start and would like to be somewhat prepared when i walk in the cali dmv. History on the truck
    1987 Daihatsu Hijet climber
    RHD 550 CC

I bought it from a contractor here in cai, who bought it from so and so etc and thats how the story gos. I have a bill of sale from when i bought it 3 years ago. Have know import certificate or have nay idea of the import date.

Someone told me it being 25 years old I have a few options for historical use plates or possibly road use but not highway use.Any plates or even green sticker would be fine. Although road use would be neat. Im just not sure were to start or how to do it.

Anyone have any info i know its a sticky deal with these trucks.Ive searched the forum many time without much luck.

thanks

2. Jim Nelson

Jim Nelson Active Member

Last August I bought a '93 Hijet that is licensed in Ca.I had problems trying to transfer it to my name because DMV said it had to be smogged.There are no specs to smog it so I was referred to the DMV referee program where I learned that vehicles under 50 cubic inches are exempt.I then went to an independent registration place and he was finally able to get it transferred for me.I have since received the renewal notice and there was no mention of smog so hopefully I'm ok.All that this means is that it is possible but your biggest obstacle is going to be getting a title.I have no clue how to do it honestly but I know of one guy who registered a Carry by claiming it was a Samurai but I sure wouldn't advise that.Your best bet is to find a good independent registration agent to handle it for you.All that said I have seen 2 other minis street legal on Craigs list.
    Good luck.It won't be easy.

3. R.E101

R.E101 Member

pain in the a** lol im hoping since it is over 25 years old might make it alittle easier I hope to get down to the registration place tomorrow see what i can come up with.

4. Daner

Daner Member

I kinda feel sorry for you Cali guys :p

5. Jim Nelson

Jim Nelson Active Member

It's really a pain in most ways but the weather sure is nice,just not sure how much longer I can afford it.

6. StevenSS

StevenSS New Member

I'm starting my application. It's really hard Did you manage to do it bro? If so contact me

7. Jim Nelson

Jim Nelson Active Member

So far it's working with just a few glitches.Some years I will get a renewal notice asking for smog test so I have to go back to the registration guy and he runs it through for me, then some years I get the renewal and no problem, just pay them. One year I didn't get a notice at all so had to go back to the registration guy and he ran it through.One thing I had to do to get around the smog deal was to get a P.O.Box out on the Pala Indian Reservation where there is no smog required.I've learned there are a few places in the state where there is no smog required and that is how you get around that.I also found that the only place you can register these things without a big hassle is Catalina island, but that in it's self is a hassle if you don't live there.

There are apparently some ways to work around it and there used to be a guy who posted here who said that he had done 2 or 3 trucks but never said how. I think his name was Socal Sunny,or something like that but he hasn't posted for a few years.

I wish I could be more help but this is about all I know about it. I'm just thankful that one of the previous owners of my truck got it done. Good luck.

8. Ohkei Dohkei

Ohkei Dohkei Active Member

I was in California last week and had to sign an acknowledgement that my rental car caused cancer.. Weather was great though.

9. Jim Nelson

Jim Nelson Active Member

For us old pharts who live here that's called the sunshine tax.Sometimes it's hard to ignore the fruits & nuts but if you live out in the boonies like I do it's doable.

Ohkei Dohkei likes this.