1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying a Carry - pre-purchase inspection

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by John Canfield, Apr 20, 2008.

1. John Canfield

John Canfield Member

Hi everybody!

I have looked over the forum posts pretty carefully, but still have some questions about doing a due-diligence investigation of a Carry purchase:

• Are there any particular items/things (other than the obvious) I should be looking at to determine the condition of a Carry?

• Is there any "problem area" or weakness that I should be concerned about that would warrant an extra-special look-see?
    • Are there any model year(s) that should be avoided?

• What would your pre-purchase investigation include?

We have a small 30 acre ranchette in Texas and I really need a little utility vehicle - the mini-truck seems ideal for ranch duties.

Thanks - John

2. precisionautojapan

precisionautojapan New Member

like purchasing any used vehicle i would inspect the engine bay for any leakage.
    check under the timing belt cover for major oil leakage. if it is leaking it is just the cam or crank seals which isn't a major bank buster or hard fix. also in the rear of the engine the distributor seal is prone to wearing out and leaking also.

the problem areas on most carrys are the wheel well and door step area also the strut tower. easy to inspect for rust. if there is any signs of repair make sure it is welded and sealed and not just "bondo" (body fill putty). if it is welded and sealed you should have no worries as this truck has a new lease on life and has had years added to its life.

personally i like Daihatsu, Suzuki, and Mitsubishi. i havent heard of one year or model having more problems than others.

3. John Canfield

John Canfield Member

Pulled the trigger

Did a pretty thorough inspection of a 1990 Carry with only 18,000 Km on the dial. No rust, ran real well, no squeaks, everything seemed tight. Noticed a little weeping from the front differential where the axle exits the case. Didn't seem too dramatic and I wasn't really bothered by it. The seats were dirty, but no rips.

This one also has no speed limiting feature, so it will go as fast as it was designed.

I really wanted a newer model, but this one was so nice I couldn't resist :D

Last edited: Apr 21, 2008
  4. DRW

DRW Member

I would say check all the obvious things,leaks,proper function of controls,do a road test,listen for any strange noises.I also would advise purchasing a truck from a reputable dealer who will stand behind it after the sale if something goes south prematurely.As far as the Carry goes I really like my 91, it is well built and should last a long time with proper maintenance.

5. rpm

rpm Member

From my short experience I'd first look at the passenger seat backrest screws. These must be removed before any major engine work can be done. If the screwheads are worn or stripped it's a sign that there has been frequent visits for repair.

6. John Canfield

John Canfield Member

Nice tip. I looked at the engine cover in the truck bed and it didn't look like it had been on or off at all, or at least not many times.

I won't be able to get the truck until week after next, so I'll have to be contented with studying my pictures.

When I get the truck and had a chance to go over it more carefully, I'll post a report.